Menu

CLE LA 7th Grade

For those of you who have used CLE for Language Arts through 7th grade, did you feel like it got to be too much during 7th? I don't know if it is just me or if it is my daughter not being very motivated this year, but it just seems like a LOT. It is so good, don't get me wrong. I've had so many issues going on this year that instead of going over each and every lesson with her, I've allowed her to correct all the lessons herself except for the quizzes and tests, which I think she should be able to do at this point. Maybe I've fallen behind on the learning myself. If you've found it to be almost too much in 7th, did you keep with it or try something else?

We switched to CLE LA this winter, and I found my oldest two had a very difficult time with it.  I had placed them in levels 600 and 700, which was a grade level or two behind.  We have since switched to Grammar for the Well Trained Mind and Writing With Skill.  GftWTM isn't any lighter, but it builds from the beginning, which is what they need!  I also find it easier to grade--I read the answers aloud and have them check as I go.  

We did CLE 7 LA this year, and my dd was able to keep up with it.  At times, I felt a little overwhelmed at how much they were supposed to be keeping straight, but she seemed to manage it well, lol.  She enjoys grammar, though, so that might have made a difference.  I am actually contemplating a switch to R&S next year just to get a bit more of a mastery/big picture approach.  I saw some things in R&S she hasn't covered in CLE, but need to check the CLE 8 scope and sequence to be sure we won't hit those things next year.  I feel like CLE has been weak in a few areas like comma rules, formal names for verbs (transitive/intransitive), that kind of thing.  But overall, I'm impressed at the level of diagramming my dd can do!  I have read all the lessons alongside her, but because I haven't been doing the work, I'm not sure I could get it all right!  I do check her work to stay in the loop.  We stopped after LU 9 lesson 9 due to it being the end of the year, but everything beyond that looked like review, so I do think you could pace it to 3-4 times a week and still get most of it done.

Hope this helps!
Kathy