Menu

AP COurses - retake

Hi-

My son will be taking his first AP test in June (American History) after studying for it at home. My question is....can you retake the exam at another time to improve your score?

Not that I'm thinking he won't be ready....but am gathering info, just in case! You know, old gloom and doom!

Myra

Hi Myra -

AP tests are administered once a year in the first couple of weeks of May. You may retake them if you wish (but you have to wait a year). The only scores that are reported -- or used for college credit -- are the scores you choose to release, on a case by case basis. So if your ds gets a 5 on one and 1 on another, colleges never see the "1" unless you choose to send it to them.

You probably know this, but you need to contact a school in your area to arrange for your ds to take the test. You cannot sign up on-line, as you can for the SAT and ACT.

Best of luck!

~Brigid

You can retake the exam, but I've never actually heard of it being done.

Retaking an AP exam would involve studying what you have studied the year prior for another huge chunk of time. Many people probably decide that even if they aren't happy with their score that it's not worth the time to redo it and they would be better off moving on and focusing on a different AP exam.

Hi-

My son will be taking his first AP test in June (American History) after studying for it at home. My question is....can you retake the exam at another time to improve your score?

Not that I'm thinking he won't be ready....but am gathering info, just in case! You know, old gloom and doom!

Myra

The 2009 test date/time for US History is May 8th at 8am. I know - my ds is taking it. It is NOT offered in June. Make sure you sign your kidlet up to take the test at an official site (usually the local public high school).

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/cal/cal2.html

Just one other thought :)

I would go ahead and contact the school where your student will take the test. Our local ps is fabulous about letting hs'ers take tests, but they need to know in January which ones my dd will take in the spring, so they can order the appropriate tests. :)

Edited by readwithem

Just one other thought :)

I would go ahead and contact the school where your student will take the test. Our local ps is fabulous about letting hs'ers take tests, but they need to know in January which ones my dd will take in the spring, so they can order the appropriate tests. :)

:iagree: I use my local private school since the public school is beyond being overcrowded and have this awful anti-homeschool policy that prohibits homeschoolers from taking any classes, or using the library, or walking in the school..... NOT a homeschool friendly place.

Carole

Thanks for the information and the links. I'll contact the local school district and set up for the May 8, 1009, testing date.

I'm a bit nervous as this is our first forray into the AP Testing arena! So thanks for your "gentle hints" and guidelines!

Myra