Menu

Latin Dictionary

Howdy. My 8 year old daughter's expressed an interest in learning Latin & asked for a dictionary. I took a qucik look on Amazon and the choices are confusing (for a bon-Latin person). This would be for self-study and totally to quench a thirst--I don't want to turn it into anything structured at all. I was thinking a visual dictionary would be cool. I also believe one with (easy-to-understand) pronunciations would be ideal. Does this exist for this age (8 yr old)? I certainly hope so! Any recommendations?

PS Is there also a website for basic phrases with pronunciations & images? Something kid-friendly and engaging? I just want her to explore an interest (however fleeting) & have grand ol' time with it.

We have "First Thousand words" books in other languages, so I assume the Latin one would be great also.

However, from my experience, it's really best to hear the word to know how to pronounce it-and a book doesn't do that for you. But not sure how to make that work. Maybe there's 

• Like 1

Yes, I believe Song School Latin is worth it even if you just listen to the songs and they stick in your brain (or your child's). 

Each set of vocabulary words has a song to go with it. They are songs set to already made tunes, but there's enough english mixed into the songs that you know exactly what the latin words you're singing mean. And it definitely helps with pronunciation.

The book that goes with it, basically just lists out the words, and gives you some activities to do with them-fill in the blank, matching, reading them in a paragraph. There is a little bit extra information in the book, but if you want to make it purely for fun, you can just listen to the CD.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alisha said:

Yes, I believe Song School Latin is worth it even if you just listen to the songs and they stick in your brain (or your child's). 

Each set of vocabulary words has a song to go with it. They are songs set to already made tunes, but there's enough english mixed into the songs that you know exactly what the latin words you're singing mean. And it definitely helps with pronunciation.

The book that goes with it, basically just lists out the words, and gives you some activities to do with them-fill in the blank, matching, reading them in a paragraph. There is a little bit extra information in the book, but if you want to make it purely for fun, you can just listen to the CD.

Excellent information you shared! I shall just invest in the CD for now then. I think my musically-minded kiddo will enjoy it. Thanks.

• Like 1

If you’re not wanting to do a formal study, I would actually suggest getting the Song School DVD’s only. We loved the DVD’s. They have a discussion about the words and each week has the derivative river. They learn how Latin words are the root of words in all different languages. It’s really neat. Also, the DVD’s have a monkey that my kids love!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bay Lake Mom said:

If you’re not wanting to do a formal study, I would actually suggest getting the Song School DVD’s only. We loved the DVD’s. They have a discussion about the words and each week has the derivative river. They learn how Latin words are the root of words in all different languages. It’s really neat. Also, the DVD’s have a monkey that my kids love!!

I agree with this. The actual songs in book 1 are honestly kind of lame and my kids roll their eyes a lot. Having the DVD really helps and you could use that on it's own. The music in book 2 is much better.

• Like 1