Menu

Dyslexia???

More questions about dyslexia I guess?  This is the same dd I have asked about learning challenges for a while ago.

as a I read through the dyslexia symptoms there's quite a bit of stuff that fits.

difficulty telling left from right

difficulty following movements patterns (TKD etc great at random sparring and the individual moves but struggles to learn the patterns by mirroring the instructor)

not much sense of direction.

The things that isn't making sense here is that I was exactly the same but was a very early reader and intuitive speller.  So I guess they haven't been linked to reading ability in my mind?  However I have the messy handwriting and bad pencil grip too.

Also she learned to blend and learned all the letter sounds early.  

secondly she's reading reasonably advanced for her age novels and obviously comprehending because she can summarise the story.

however when she reads aloud she misses small words like of, the etc and occasionally subs a wrong word or changes order.  From what I read these are classic dyslexia symptoms.  But then she reads really fast and I wonder if the problem is just that she's rushing.  She can decode the words and say then all when she slows down.  But she just wants to "get done".

I know realistically you can't give me all the answers that an evaluation can but realistically that's nowhere in the budget right now and I can't imagine dh seeing it as a priority.  I guess I'm just questioning if this really explains what I'm seeing.  

Another possible conflicting issue is she lost a pet she was very strongly attached to around 12 months ago and after a bad day recently some of the stuff she said made me realise there's still some kind of processing going on around that too.  It probably coincided with the time her sleep went haywire and she seemed to lose focus on schoolwork.  I may have underestimated how much it affected her.  (Heck it affected all of us so maybe I just couldn't deal with it like I should have!).

anyway.. sorry for getting so long just wondering if anyone had any input?

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

What's your biggest problem you need to solve? It sounds like you're describing ADHD with some mild praxis issues. What is your biggest issue? What needs to change? 

I think this is what I'm trying to identify?  When I look at families with diagnosed learning disorders I don't see it as being on that level but then in the bubble I live in people aren't likely to seek diagnosis unless it's severe.

academically I can't totally figure out what the issue is.  It looks like lack of focus but I'm not sure if that's it or it's actually hard for her and that's why she's struggling with focus.  The actual issues are when she's reading aloud she misses a lot of words and the lack of retention in math.  Also inconsistent results.  One day she can do amazingly well and another day she will miss half the problems.  With the reading it's not affecting comprehension of broadbrush stuff but it's affecting science and math reading where one or two words change the meaning completely. 

Spelling has been all over the place but is starting to look more like traditional spelling now.  We actually worked through level 1 of apples and pears for a bit but after doing all the work she still didn't pass the tests.  Once she started reading for pleasure spelling started improving although it's still pretty haphazard.

when she listens to reading aloud and audible her comprehension level is pretty high.  Her ability to create stories and poetry is pretty amazing aside from the spelling!

in other aspects of life, there are definitely some sensory issues which are improving with age.  We spent months falling apart over what shoes to wear to church when she was 7 until I found some sparkly sneakers that looked dressier than gumboots but were apparently comfy!  Some sensory avoidance with clothes but also sensory seeking in gross motor stuff (hugs too hard, plays really hard in football etc, likes heavy physical work).  Definitely better overall when she had lots of outdoor play time.

Gross Motor skills are somewhat of an issue though not major. Fine motor is more of a weakness but she's going through a loom band and finger knitting phase which I'm hoping will help. 

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether this is stuff that can be helped by different teaching methods, whether it's more or less serious than what I'm looking at.  Homeschooling makes it hard to compare with other same age kids and the friends she has are gifted/advanced learners so I'm not getting a good comparison point for what's normal for her age.  Also because stuff she does is stuff I struggled with and stuff dh struggled with in different areas, maybe we're not recognising it.  

off to google praxis now.