Menu

What does your period blood's color say about your health?

umsami

I saw this on Prevention's site, and found it interesting.  I honestly had never heard any of this before.... well, except the bit about if it doesn't show, take a pregnancy test. 

"Your period may show up every month and annoy you with the cramps, bloating, and fatigue that come along with it, but it deserves a little respect. Your monthly flow can actually provide a lot of insight into your overall health. For instance, if you're struggling with irregular periods, that's a sign you may be dealing with a thyroid problem, polycystic ovary syndrome, or a hormone imbalance, or that you're underweight. And if it doesn't show up at all, well, you might want to try a pregnancy test. 

The color of your period blood may also provide some insights into what else is going on inside your body. It can come in a rainbow of shades from pink and whitish to bright red and even dark brown. Here, we explore what each period blood color might mean—and let you know when it's time to call your doctor."

https://www.prevention.com/health/a20503433/color-of-your-period-blood-and-health/

• Like 1

Eh, except for the gray thing (ew!), my period goes through all these colors within 5 days. As I recall from 4th grade health class, that's pretty typical. I suspect the writer was looking for any topic to get paid for and stumbled upon an old blog post discussing this, rather than this being actual medical information.

• Like 4