Menu

How does everyone???????

Keep track of their personal books? Short of typing it all out on a piece of paper what does everyone do? I am buying books I already have because there are just so very many!!

Some people use Library Thing. Others just use an Excel spread sheet so they can sort by author, type of book, etc. If you have a PDA you can download the file into it so you have it with you when you go out, or you could just print it out to carry with you.

I started by creating my own database in MS Access but I have moved on to Book Collector. I love the ISBN scan or search feature. You can print your library or save it on an iPod, Palm Pilot or the like.

I didn't like the limits on number of books that services like Library Thing offer. If I am going to pay for it I want everything on my own computer. I think delicious also has a library feature.

I have dreams about listing all my books, but since it would take days of work, I have never done it. Since I buy books used for the most part, I just resell any duplicates for the same price I paid. (Keeping the nicest one of course.) I have over 10,000 books at this point, (An estimate) and they are organized, but they don't all stick in my memory!

This is not much help, but at least you know you are not the only one who buys books you already own.

When we were moving overseas and could not take all of our books with us, I numbered every box and listed each book that was in the box. I figured if I had some need for something that I could look at my list and ask my dear mil to pull it out and mail it to me. It was nice to have all of the books listed, but I never ended up needing to use it like I thought I might.

We recently got a program called Delicious Library and we used the camera on our computer to scan all of the books. One of the things that sold dh on it is that it if you would like to sell any of your books, it is very easy to link them directly to Amazon. We spent 5-6 hours scanning them a few weeks back. Now all we have to do is to figure out which ones to sell! LOL

I started by creating my own database in MS Access but I have moved on to Book Collector. I love the ISBN scan or search feature. You can print your library or save it on an iPod, Palm Pilot or the like.

Are you able to enter titles of books that don't have an ISBN, due to being older?

Edited by klmama