Menu

Matching curtains and bed skirt to comforter (Updated in thread)

Night Elf

So the comforter is mostly green. It's sort of like a plaid with uneven blocks. Some are navy blue. There are also some small burgandy stripes running through it. The navy blue bed skirt looks okay against it but I'm wondering if I should go with more green. The bed skirt makes the blue squares pop but there are few of them. And then I want to match curtains to bed skirt so I'm getting navy blue curtains. Wouldn't that make the room balance out even more since there would be even more blue in the room? 

This will be my youngest dd's room when she comes home for weekend visits which I expect will be very few. The colors are dark but I think she likes dark colors. I don't think she'll like the style of the blanket, especially because it used to belong to her brother. Am I making a mistake using it? Should I just buy a whole new bedding set to match the green walls? I am NOT painting that room but I can lighten it up with bedding and curtains. Anyway, this is the dd who says she doesn't consider this her home anymore and had me throw out everything in her room except for a very few things. I don't think she really cares how I decorate this room but it's going to have her stuff in it, like her snow globe collection and the few boxes of things I didn't want to throw away. I'm just going to store them in the closet.

1 minute ago, perkybunch said:

Dark curtains will not lighten a room.  I would go ahead and get a new, pretty bedding set with light-colored curtains.  Even if dd doesn't visit that often, it would be a nice, bright guest room.

No, I know the navy blue curtains won't lighten the room. I'm not concerned with that if I go with those colors. That was ds's room and he had dark grey blackout curtains in there. I'm just thinking if I'm setting it up for a girl, it should be more colorful. But if she doesn't care, do I spend the money on all new bedding and curtains or use what I have and only buy the new curtains? I have so many blankets in my house but none are twin sized except for that green plaid one and a chocolate brown one. I kind of like the idea of a white comforter with a pop of colors in some fashion because it would look more girly but she has absolutely no opinion. She's leaving it all up to me because she doesn't expect to spend much time here.

Since your daughter doesn't care and she will be the primary user of the room, I'd try to work with one of the comforters you have.

What is the lightest color in the plaid comforter?  Will that color work with the green walls? If not, try the lightest color that would work. Add a throw pillow or two in the color you select for the bedskirt.  

Pink, green, and brown go well together.  What about a pink bedskirt, brown bedspread, and pink throw pillows.  Or skip the bedskirt, and use pink and green throw pillows. Depending on the shade of green, turquoise or another blue-green could also work.

If you don't like any of those options, how about white curtains and white duvet cover over one of the comforters?  

45 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

No, I know the navy blue curtains won't lighten the room. I'm not concerned with that if I go with those colors. That was ds's room and he had dark grey blackout curtains in there. I'm just thinking if I'm setting it up for a girl, it should be more colorful. But if she doesn't care, do I spend the money on all new bedding and curtains or use what I have and only buy the new curtains? I have so many blankets in my house but none are twin sized except for that green plaid one and a chocolate brown one. I kind of like the idea of a white comforter with a pop of colors in some fashion because it would look more girly but she has absolutely no opinion. She's leaving it all up to me because she doesn't expect to spend much time here.

I would probably buy a new set of bedding and new curtains for my own benefit, assuming it won’t take bread from anyone’s mouth. I would enjoy making thr room feel put to a fresh purpose and since she doesn’t care, I would do whatever I wanted. 

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

I think that bedding looks fine with the navy skirt. 

If you're fine with it, and your DD doesn't care...then it totally works. You could always keep your eyes open for a new (to you) bedding set when you volunteer at the thrift store. 

I have looked but we don't have any twin linens that I think will look good in that room. That would be the easiest thing to do because I could get them cheap. I even checked for curtains last week and we don't have any that will match the room. I bought the bed skirt for $6 through Amazon but have been having trouble finding curtains I like. I can't find plain material curtains. They're either blackout material or sheers. 

Update: I found a really pretty country floral quilt with matching pillow sham at the thrift store this morning. It came in yesterday and was only $15. So I decided it would make me happier to have that than the green plaid one. So now I'll need a new bed skirt and curtains. The thrift store didn't have any I liked. I'm going to donate the navy blue bed skirt and green plaid comforter since I won't need them. I'm so excited! It's so pretty. It's not dd's style at all but totally my style. She said she didn't want me to decorate for her so I'll take her word for it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I like the updated version quite a bit!  I think it was a good choice to get it.  Your daughter won’t really care, and that’s ok, because now the room is your guest room, so it’s good that you are the one who likes it.