Menu

Finally...Chapter Books!

So, this is a big plug for "living books" even with struggling readers.

My kiddo is 10, and he only let me read him a chapter book earlier this year, at 9.  It was one his brothers liked--full of pictures on every page, so he was willing to try it.  He kept wanting to stop and go back to shorter picture books, but we got to the end.   He tried the sequal...stopped for a LONG time on that one, and finally got him to finish it, but didn't want to read another one.

Could not get him to try another chapter book for months (and this is me reading to him...not vice versus).

Then one day he said he wanted to try one.   I decided on Junie B. Jones, cause, again, lots of picture, and my other kids loved these.   But he didn't like it.  (Maybe just too juvenile for him now).   I asked if he's like me to pick another, and, I took a chance...I got a book that I had read as a kid, Star of Light by Patricia St. John.  ONE picture at the beginning of the chapter, and that's it, 5-10 pages of fairly small text in each chapter, hard vocabulary sometimes, but BEAUTIFUL writing and really great story.

He's loving it...and understanding it.  He's asking questions about it that shows me he's getting it.   Only had one night he didn't want to do it (and he let me know he wanted to the next day, but he was just tired that night).   Every night he's asked for it and not asked if he could do a picture book in stead.   So, so happy!

This opens up a new world for us!!

• Like 5