Menu

Roman biography or historical fiction recommendation?

Elinor Everywhere

While we are studying history I generally like to read a good biography or historical fiction set in the time we are learning about. We will begin ancient Rome in a few weeks; does anyone have recommendations (this is for ME, not the kids)?

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed "I, Claudius", so something written in that vein would be fine.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed "I, Claudius", so something written in that vein would be fine.

I, Claudius was largely based on Suetonius, so for a bit of variety, maybe selections from Plutarch's Lives? It's rather like Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome, but for adults. :) The wikipedia entry has links to a variety of sources.

some books that I've read are the Roman chronicles by Caroline lawrence. These are mystery books for older children and they're pretty interesting. I enjoyed it and it was a quick read.

I also read an adult novel about 2 years ago and I think it's called Aquarius. It's a book about Mt. Vesuvius and a possible explanation to some events with that.(the Aquarius was the person in charge of the aquaduct).

I really learned a ton about Ancient Rome from the Coleen McCullogh series that begins with First Man of Rome about Gaius Marius.

She did a lot of research and the culture and even the landmarks in the city came alive for me. I am sorry to say that since the Romans were not a Christian culture and this is an adult book she includes a lot about their s*xual activities. I don't remember how graphic as I just skipped and went on with the story. She wrote about real historical charactors and real events.

For you, I'd recommend Flames of Rome. It is on the Sonlight reading list for level 200 (high school). I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I didn't have my son read it because of his young age when we did that study, but I found it fascinating.

Funny, I use TOG and supplement the kids' reading with Sonlight books, but for some reason it hadn't occurred to me to check out the high school level readers for myself. Thanks!

some books that I've read are the Roman chronicles by Caroline lawrence. These are mystery books for older children and they're pretty interesting. I enjoyed it and it was a quick read.

I also read an adult novel about 2 years ago and I think it's called Aquarius. It's a book about Mt. Vesuvius and a possible explanation to some events with that.(the Aquarius was the person in charge of the aquaduct).

I've never head of any of those - sounds interesting. I love this time period, so I'm happy to read a fairly large number of books. Not that I don't like ancient Greece, but I'm SO ready to move on! :tongue_smilie:

I, Claudius was largely based on Suetonius, so for a bit of variety, maybe selections from Plutarch's Lives? It's rather like Famous Men of Greece and Famous Men of Rome, but for adults. :) The wikipedia entry has links to a variety of sources.

Ooo, I like that idea. I checked my library and they do have Plutarch's Lives. And gee, strangely enough they are all checked in. :rolleyes:

I really learned a ton about Ancient Rome from the Coleen McCullogh series that begins with First Man of Rome about Gaius Marius.

She did a lot of research and the culture and even the landmarks in the city came alive for me. I am sorry to say that since the Romans were not a Christian culture and this is an adult book she includes a lot about their s*xual activities. I don't remember how graphic as I just skipped and went on with the story. She wrote about real historical charactors and real events.

These sound good - and I can borrow them instead of buying, so that makes it even better. I've already reserved a couple - I'm looking forward to getting started and seeing what I think!