Menu

Bread Bakers, please tell me what is wrong here

Liz CA

I have been baking sourdough bread (no yeast) for years now but for the past few months, my loaves are partially under - or even unbaked in the middle.

I have changed nothing- temp is the same, time of baking, flour type is similar, ingredient list identical, sourdough culture is the same.

The only variable I can see is the proofing time. I test with my "finger in the dough." How can I fix this? Sometimes I am losing half a loaf, sometimes there is just a smaller pocket of unbaked dough.

Personally, I would tinker with the cooking times If for some reason your starter is not so healthy and your bread isn't rising as well then you will probably need to cook it longer. Dense bread takes longer to cook. You can just leave the bread in until a meat thermometer stuck in the center read 200F. Sourdough bread needs to get to a hotter temperature to finish.

My other go to is to fall back on a recipe that you know works. Usually when something goes wrong for me it's because I've drifted, even unintentionally away from something that I know works. Maybe try my fail-proof recipe to try something different.

12 cups flour (usually I do whole wheat but it rise much better if it's half white)

1 heaping as full as you can go tablespoon salt

7 cups water if you're doing whole wheat, 6.5 if it's white or half white

3 cups active starter (less if the weather is warm)

(That's right--no sugar, no yeast and no oil)

Directions:

Feed your starter mid afternoon. In the evening before going to bed (about 9ish here) mix the dry ingredients together then pour the water into the center, add the starter to the "puddle" and stir everything together. The dough should be just wet enough to incorporate all the flour with a mixing spoon, without having to knead it. Add a little more flour if you can easily do so with a mixing spoon. If you can't seem to mix all the flour in add some water instead. This is not a precise recipe but it works.  The dough will seem ridiculously wet if you're used to standard bread but trust me here. Cover it over night. The next morning after breakfast, grease 4 pans and dump the dough out onto a floured counter top. Fold the dough in half to make it easier to work with. Do your best to form 4 loaves. Don't worry about perfection here. Let it sit covered for about 2 hours. Preheat your oven to 450F. Slice the loaves down the top--this make a huge difference to the rise. Place in the oven at 450F for 10 minutes then decrease the temperature to 375F and cook for another 40 minutes. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Like Rose, I was going to suggest using a thermometer--I use a relatively inexpensive instant-read digital thermometer rather than a meat thermometer.  Maybe my meat ones are really old, but they don't go up to 200F (as that would be *very* overcooked meat).  So, when the timer rings and the bread should be done, I double-check with my instant-read thermometer and know whether it needs a few more minutes or not....

• Like 1

I agree with Katy.  Check the thermostat on your oven.  Perhaps it's off.  There's a YouTube video explaining how to do this.   

I also find that my bread bakes differently depending on the weather.  Has it only been for the last few months or for a full calendar year?  Do you live where the weather changes much?  

Your oven is probably off. Oven thermostats do not last. I’d get an oven thermometer and keep it in there so you can know how much to adjust the oven up or down to get your desired temperature. It’s a lot cheaper solution than getting a appliance repairman out to replace it, especially if it requires replacing a motherboard!