Menu

Flights to Europe via Iceland

TCB

I'm trying to book a flight to England this June/July and there is a really good price on one via Keflavik airport in Iceland but the return flight has a 22 hour, overnight layover in Iceland. Has anyone done this before? I'm wondering if there is somewhere close to the airport that is reasonably priced to stay and are there any extra fees or taxes to pay if you leave the airport? Also, I know food etc is expensive but is it possible to find reasonably priced things to eat? Also, how do you get from the airport into town? The flight arrives at 7:30 pm and leaves at 5:30 the next afternoon. Do you need a visa as an American citizen for Iceland? Any information and tips much appreciated!

A day in Iceland would be a bonus on a trip to Europe.  I would check on the visa thing, but plan on at least finding a good restaurant for dinner, a hotel to crash in, and get in a walking tour somewhere in the morning before heading back to the airport.

• Like 2

This means that U.S. citizens may enter Iceland for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond your planned date of departure from the Schengen area. You needsufficient funds and a return airline ticket.

• Like 1

What is a reasonable cost for hotel for you? 

I have heard that grocery stores are pretty decent price on food there.   I think they have hot dogs that are pretty decent in price.  I thought I read one time they were 4.  

You can rent a car, taxi, or take a bus.

https://iheartreykjavik.net/2012/03/reykjavik-basics-how-to-get-from-keflavik-airport-to-reykjavik/

• Like 1

Have you checked with the airline itself (or on their website)?  I ask because my daughter had a similar layover in Istanbul last summer, and Turkish Air offered a free hotel room, free tours and free transportation to and from the hotel and tours.  She applied for the short-stay visa online ahead of time (but it is probably easier to visit Iceland than Turkey). I think she paid $20 for the visa, but the Turkish Air deal was worth it.  Neither of us would ever have known about it except that I mentioned it to a friend who is a former travel agent, and she googled and found details.  

• Like 1

We have flown through that airport and have also spent time in Reykjavik.  There are plenty of busses and taxis from the airport.  We found the bus to be easy and cheap.  Many will drop you right off at your hotel.  We did not find the prices in Iceland to be high compared to anything in Europe.  Pro tip - don't bother changing any cash currency.  You can pay with a CC for anything....and I mean anything.  We were there for five days and did not use cash once.   Do know that the airport is a zoo and WAY over capacity.  Our plans to grab breakfast (or even pee) before boarding were immediately dashed upon entering the building.  The lines for the bathrooms were unreal during the day.  We have also been there in early morning and middle of the night, which were not so crowded.  Bring eye masks for sleeping.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, skimomma said:

We have flown through that airport and have also spent time in Reykjavik.  There are plenty of busses and taxis from the airport.  We found the bus to be easy and cheap.  Many will drop you right off at your hotel.  We did not find the prices in Iceland to be high compared to anything in Europe.  Pro tip - don't bother changing any cash currency.  You can pay with a CC for anything....and I mean anything.  We were there for five days and did not use cash once.   Do know that the airport is a zoo and WAY over capacity.  Our plans to grab breakfast (or even pee) before boarding were immediately dashed upon entering the building.  The lines for the bathrooms were unreal during the day.  We have also been there in early morning and middle of the night, which were not so crowded.  Bring eye masks for sleeping.  

Thanks for all of these tips! I just booked it and came back here hoping no-one had come on here and said "DON'T DO IT" lol! I also booked a night in a guest house a couple of miles from the airport. Now that I've done it I'm quite excited about the whole thing!

• Like 2