Menu

What Comes After AAR4?

placeofstory

Reading!!! Reading on her own or aloud to you, for a certain amount of time. 30-45 min? Depends on the kid and you. Working on spelling. I always have the kids narrate back what they read to me. You could also have them journal about what they read daily too. I’ve read somewhere that someone recommended Mega words after AAR to keep building up their decoding skills. Hope that helps!

Reading independently and reading aloud.  My child who is finishing up level 4 will move into Wise Owl Polysyllables.  I saw it mentioned on here awhile back, and it looks perfect for a quick skill-builder that won’t take much time from actual reading for pleasure or reading for information.  I have also seen people go to megawords as pp mentioned, but I think that tends to be more for dyslexic kiddos who need the continued practice and explicit instruction.

I use Megawords as a spelling program for one of my children who definitely is not dyslexic. Syllieann may be thinking of Apples and Pears (?) Megawords is just a very thorough spelling program : )

Anyway, if your child is a strong reader already, when she finishes AAR 4 I would call it "good" for reading instruction (decoding) and move onto literature analysis. By this I mean her reading books on her own, of course, but also you selecting a few books to read together and discuss over the course of the year. There are many literature guides to help with this. Teacherspayteachers is a great website to find novel study units and the homeschoolshare website has many free novel study guides. You could also have your child do a lapbook type of study guide to go along with a novel if you are crafty : ).

3 hours ago, Syllieann said:

Reading independently and reading aloud.  My child who is finishing up level 4 will move into Wise Owl Polysyllables.  I saw it mentioned on here awhile back, and it looks perfect for a quick skill-builder that won’t take much time from actual reading for pleasure or reading for information.  I have also seen people go to megawords as pp mentioned, but I think that tends to be more for dyslexic kiddos who need the continued practice and explicit instruction.

Could you tell me how Wise Owl works exactly? Is it just a reading list with the word broken into syllables?

3 hours ago, ghcostafamily said:

Could you tell me how Wise Owl works exactly? Is it just a reading list with the word broken into syllables?

We haven’t started yet, so I’m sure I will modify a bit from the way some others have mentioned.  What I gathered from reading what others have done is that you just go through and do a page or a few pages at a time, having the child read it out loud.  It is more than just a list though.  There are example sentences that make meaning obvious, so it is a bit of vocabulary too.  The words are also arranged into groups according to advanced phonograms.  Once I see how it looks in practice I’ll probably figure out some sort of way to loop back to previously read pages.

14 hours ago, placeofstory said:

My daughter is beginning AAR4, which means we will complete it about halfway through next school year. I'm not sure what comes next? Her reading is already very good. Any recommendations would be wonderful!

That's awesome! Good for her :-). I think reading is so fun at this stage--everything really opens up, they can read anything age-appropriate and they move from that "learning to read" stage into the "reading to learn" stage. Here's a fun article on What Happens after All About Reading. Have fun!