Menu

2018 Pulitzer Prizes

Jane in NC

Some excellent reporting was acknowledged, but I figured the Hubbers might be more interested in books:

Fiction:  Less by Andrew Sean Greer

Drama:  Cost of Living by Martyna Majok

History:  The Gulf, the Making of an American Sea by Jack Davis

Biography:  Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser

Poetry:  Half Light by Frank Bidart

General Nonfiction: Locking Up Our Own, Crime and Punishment in Black America by James Foreman Jr.

Comments from anyone who has read the books?

I highly recommend the article in GQ that won the feature prize, A Most American Terrorist, The Making of Dylann Roof by Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah.  I cried when I read that article last summer.

• Like 5

I read Prairie Fires on Christmas break. It's an in depth account of the lives of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Rose Wilder Lane. The best part is the biography of the Ingalls family in the beginning of the book. I didn't enjoy the last part which focused on RWL. She had some mental health struggles and it was painful to read about her life. Trinqueta stopped after the first part about the Ingalls family and enjoyed that a lot. That might be the best course if you find the last part hard going. I hate not finishing a book (it's not rational, it can be a pain when a book just doesn't thrill me, but I will slog on to the end) so I finished it.

• Like 2

I understand from a LIW fan friend of mine that Prairie Fires is also a pretty long book, chiguirre.  I have not done the proper vetting at all to see if the back third etc of the book is notes, but...  Sometimes we have to have limits!  I have a few in my stack (looking at you, Dark Money) which guilt me daily, as I know I should finish them...

• Like 2