Menu

Wedding etiquette question..tipping

Tap

I'm trying to get as many details of my daughters wedding taken care of ahead of time.  One thing has me stumped.  I am making a list of who I need to pay and tip at the wedding. 

There may be a caterer (or we may do it ourselves). The caterer will be paid ahead of time, but tipped after. The tip will be given with a  previously prepared thank you card.  Does this come from the bride/groom or me who is paying for it?  If it is not tacky, it is way easier for me to write them ahead of time, than to have the bride/groom do it.  (college students who both work)

There will be a DJ ....same question as above, but the full payment will be given after wedding with tip enclosed.  

The officiant is my son, so I will ask the bride/groom to write a note to him.  He would never, ever accept any kind of payment or tip. LOL

There will be several of his family members who are doing specific tasks like hosting, photos, flowers etc.  I know then bride/groom would write thank yous for these people, but should I also send one? 

Whether it’s ‘proper’ for you to write notes or not, I think it would be lovely for you to also write notes to those friends who are providing services. It’s your dd’s wedding but you are hosting it so thank you notes from you would be very nice. 

The caterer tip should come from you. I have never heard of tipping a DJ for an event. Some people tip to play songs on request, but that is the responsibility of the person making the request. That doesn't mean tipping the DJ doesn't happen, just that I've never heard of it happening. The bride and groom should send thank you notes to those who took on specific roles. It would not be improper for you to write thank you's, but they should be in addition to the bride and groom, not instead of.