Menu

Can anyone solve this mystery

lynn

I discovered a 1/4-1/2" bald spot on my head. It was not there 2 days ago. It does not hurt. it's not shaved looking. It's just pinkish and bald no hair at all. I'm a little freaked out. I have thick, naturally curly hair. It is not noticable because my hair goes over it. Any reason for this. Is it a sign of an unknown medical condition? Something to get checked medically? Should I start looking at wigs? Just ignore and see if the hair grows back?

Is there any other hair loss or just that one area?

Thyroid issues--are you tired, dry skin, slow digestion?

Ringworm--Yep. My nephew had one on his scalp that caused a round bald spot. He had to take some sort of oral medication to get rid of that.

I would probably get it checked out, just to make myself feel better.

I would have it checked out. Ringworm came to my mind as well and since it is highly contagious, you wouldn't want to deal with trying to rid your house of it. Our cat got it and he was in a quarantine for several weeks while we treated it and treated it again. For peace of mind get it checked.

My friend had this start to happen when she was under a lot of stress. I just googled a bit and came up with a bunch of different things, but the stress-induced version seems to be called alopecia areata. I think (can't remember for sure, it was awhile back) that she had a tiny cortisone shot in the general area, which cleared it up, and it never came back. I'll flag this for her and see if she can come and share her experience.

ETA: I forgot to say that yes, I'd go get it checked out too, whether or not you think it might be stress-related.

Thanks ladies. I did call my dr and I have an appointment tomorrow. I'll let you know what the dr says. It's a freaky thing to wake up and have a bald spot that was not there 2 days ago. I do not know where the hair went. It would have had to be sort of a big clump? or did it happen gradually? My first reaction is thyroid. I had no idea I could get ringworm. How would I get that? On my head?

My friend had this start to happen when she was under a lot of stress. I just googled a bit and came up with a bunch of different things, but the stress-induced version seems to be called alopecia areata. I think (can't remember for sure, it was awhile back) that she had a tiny cortisone shot in the general area, which cleared it up, and it never came back. I'll flag this for her and see if she can come and share her experience.

ETA: I forgot to say that yes, I'd go get it checked out too, whether or not you think it might be stress-related.

Yup, this is what my sister experienced too.