Menu

All you Brits, what is the difference between a Dog's Dinner and a Pig's Breakfast?

Over the years BBC has taught me many things. Going down to Moss Bros means a man getting married, etc.

However, I can't suss out the difference between a dog's dinner and a pig's breakfast. "It was a real dog's dinner" or "He made a pig's breakfast of it". Are they synonyms?

I thank you for your help on this crushingly important matter.

I haven't heard of 'pig's breakfast'. I would find 'dog's dinner' and 'pig's ear' to be synonyms. The latter is a reworking of the phrase 'to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'.

Laura

:iagree:

I have heard 'dog's dinner' but I don't recall ever hearing 'pig's breakfast' although I can imagine it would mean the same. 'A dog's dinner' is for when you do a bad job of something.

Jonathan Swift said 'You can't make a silk purse of a sow's ear' and I have heard it used by my seventy-something mother-in-law frequently but not at all by my nephews or nieces.

I talked about it with dh this morning at breakfast :D.

We decided that it was a kind of 'mixed metaphor' and perhaps was used as a joke in itself. If it was used in 'Yes, Prime Minister' it could certainly enter everyday BBC media speak. They love to invent new phrases.

I love mysteries!

I've not ever heard of 'pigs breakfast' before either.

I recently started watching Yes, Prime Minister on netflix-online. I don't recall watching it years ago so it's like new to me now.

It is in the episode where Humphrey is having a nice dinner with a deadpan banker about the "scandal in the city". ("they broke the first rule" "what, insider trading?" "no, everyone does that. The rule that if you are stupid, you have to be honest, and if you aren't honest, you have to be clever")

It is in the episode where Humphrey is having a nice dinner with a deadpan banker about the "scandal in the city". ("they broke the first rule" "what, insider trading?" "no, everyone does that. The rule that if you are stupid, you have to be honest, and if you aren't honest, you have to be clever")

:lol::lol::lol:

No answer, but on another message board, a woman from Great Britain said "Brit" was a derogatory term and she wished we Americans wouldn't use it.

I thought it had positive connotations... like "Sis" or some close relationship.

Anyone out there from GB that could comment?

I don't know about 'Brit' really. I think it is okay. People might prefer Englishwoman/man or Scot/ Scottish man or woman. But please don't call me 'Scotch' eew! That's a drink not a person! :D

No answer, but on another message board, a woman from Great Britain said "Brit" was a derogatory term and she wished we Americans wouldn't use it.

It apparently became popular in Northern Ireland during the Troubles, as a derogatory term for the 'occupiers'. I don't have a problem with the term myself, nor do most younger people, I think.

Laura