Menu

BJU Life Science with Mrs. Gillenwater

Carolinagirl1

Any reviews? We've been using BJU Distance Learning DVDs for science for the last 3 years and absolutely love them, but from looking at the online sample lessons for 7th grade Life Science, they seem to be dry. While the teacher (Mrs. Gillenwater) seems nice, it appears that she is simply reading from a teleprompter for the entire lesson with a few text box slides thrown in. The DVDs in the past have much more variation to keep the lessons fun and interesting such as fun slideshows set to music, and "meet the scientist" skits.

I'm wondering if the sample video is an accurate representation of all of the lessons, because if so, I'm afraid my daughter's eyes will glaze over. She lost interest watching the sample lesson and told me she thought it was boring.

I've always been so impressed with the depth of BJU science so I'm hoping the sample video isn't the best.

Any experience with it? 

• Like 1

I just watched the sample and agree with you. It feels that she is just reading it. That is such a shame.With all the money that BJU has, they should be able to hire the best teachers. Mrs. Vick's teaching in the course was phenomenal! I had both of my children do it when they were in 8th grade. 

Edited by mom31257

I'm going to go ahead and order it. I haven't found any science as awesome as BJU, and the video lessons are approximately 13 minutes in length. We can handle that. If I need to, I can add visuals and other things to make it interesting. 

Wow, they used to be 30 minutes long. That is much more doable if you don't like it that much. 

• Like 1

I thought only k-6 lessons were 15 min or less? I seem to remember 7th grade science being much longer. It’s been a long time since we’ve done it though.

Don’t they have a sale on the single download classes every once in a while? I watched a sample of 5th science and really liked it..

I thought only k-6 lessons were 15 min or less? I seem to remember 7th grade science being much longer. It’s been a long time since we’ve done it though.

Don’t they have a sale on the single download classes every once in a while? I watched a sample of 5th science and really liked it..

The description says approximately 13 minutes per lesson. I know the course was updated with the new instructor in 2017. I think they have tried to make them shorter in duration. 

We have Science 5 right with Ms. Ingersoll right now, and it is awesome. I'm not sure about sales. The last one I saw was a one day sale for 15% off. Unfortunately I missed it. 

I'd love to hear which current DL classes are GOOD (with great teaches) and which ones are to be passed on. As a newbie, how would you know? Which are the great classes with the great teachers? I hear Mrs. Walker and Mrs. Vick. Anyone else? (I have almost all grade levels so curious across the board)

The video lessons have been cut down by half in most subjects, life science being one of them. The new versions are very stiff, not at all like Mrs. Vick or Mrs. Walker. Mrs. Bullock is very good, too. I just posted about this (didn’t see this thread). Life science is a very rigorous course so I’m confused as to why they shortened the teacher lessons. I’ve watched most of the life science videos and it’s a lot of information without explaination crammed into 10-12 mins. It’s much more of a textbook course now. I’m so disappointed that Bju has done this. Half the teacher time! Mrs. G also does grade 8 science, same 10-12 minutes.