Menu

The first of many questions... This one is about piano lessons

Hello everyone!

I am having a very hard time making decisions for the upcoming school year. These decisions do need to be made now before I start college classes and working part time. After I get my certification, I'll be working full time but that won't be this coming school year.

My brain is fried already with all the challenges our family has faced over the last 2 years and I need y'alls help!!

The first question is probably the simplest... to do with piano lessons. Backgound: dd is 10 years old and has been taking piano lessons for 4 years with one year off in the middle. She has learned Fur Elise and is working on Cannon in D right now just to reference well known pieces so you know where she's at.

Currently, she's taking lessons at a music studio 30min once per week with the same instructor she's always had. Its quite pricey though and I really need this to change for my finances. So I am planning on her taking the summer off after recital season and right when my classes start. I'd like to find a way for her to keep her skills sharp and experiment with ways to possibly continue without going to lessons with an instructor.

I've looked at Hoffman but what I'm seeing is starting from the beginning but can't find how you could jump into your current skill level if you're not a beginner. Is this something that could work for her? Do I just sign her up and that will open it up so she can choose what level she needs?

Is there something else that might fit the bill? I've looked on you tube but I'm not seeing anything that resembles a traditional weekly lesson or learning a new skill. Maybe I'm not looking for the right thing. I don't really know what to search.

Also, I can sign her up with a friend of a friend that does lessons in their home for 1/2 the price we are paying now so I can start that after the summer break if we can't find anything else to keep her going for free or super cheap.

Any insights, suggestions, or experiences are appreciated!

My son is 10 and at about the same skill level. He has had two different instructors. I think it makes a big difference getting feedback on what he’s doing right and what he needs to improve on. His previous instructor was not good at communicating that to him, when we switched teachers I saw a lot of growth in his ability. Because of needing that feedback, I would be hesitant to do self study.

If finances allow, I would either switch teachers or see about reducing lessons to every other week.

• Like 2

I found that the feedback and motivation from attending lessons is everything. The second they stop going progress halts.

I know that’s not what you wanted to hear!

Now, with that said, feel free to take summers off to save money and give her a break. Not too long...but two months off won’t hurt too much.

Then resume full tilt once the summer is over :)

• Like 2

Agree with others that lessons are best for continuing to progress.....though taking summers off is fine. I took 15 years of lessons, and my teacher took summers off, so I never had summer lessons. She usually gave us fun, popular music to work on over the summer just to keep playing.

• Like 1

I also took 10 years of lessons with the summers off. If it did “hurt†me I wasn’t old enough to realize it and my teacher never commented. We were asked to come back to the first lesson in the fall with three “fun†pieces I’d chosen. I think taking the summer off would be fine.

• Like 1