Menu

grumble....re programming class

SparklyUnicorn

Ok, so she has this fairly detailed syllabus that she has not followed AT ALL.  As of today we have had no real graded anything other than some extremely short take home thing worth pretty much nothing in the grand scheme of grades (even though the syllabus mentions several projects she will assign).  So she announced that on Tuesday will be an exam because she realized she must give something graded before the midterm period per the rules of the college (and by the way Tuesday is after this deadline).  Just like that.  And it does not follow the syllabus either.  Less than a week's notice. 

Now, I have done all the reading, gone to all the classes, and did all the stuff in the book (even though not assigned).  We have no heads up in terms of what this exam will be like.  No nothin.

I'm not happy.  I have NO idea if I'm on the right track at all.  Zero...zilch.  No feedback..no homework was assigned other than read. 

I am seriously considering withdrawing from the course.  I don't really want to do that, but I HATE this instructor.  This is the worst class I have ever taken and I have taken A LOT of classes in my life.  I dunno.  Maybe I'll just take the damn exam and see how that goes.  Then decide.  I don't care so much about the grade, but I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of this class (that I couldn't just be doing on my own). 

oh, ugh. That stinks! 

My sons at least do have a scheduled midterm, with a review planned for Monday. One son is flying through the course and doing extra stuff just for fun, on his own; the other is relying heavily on the help of the first and still staying very late on "lab days" to finish assigned work. From what I understand, there's little to no interaction or instruction from the teacher other than power point slides put up with the material from the book posted, and they're expected to copy the programs. :sigh: 

But, at least she is following the syllabus so far. (I have no idea if she's graded any of the things they've submitted; neither one has reported on that....). 

I'd be tempted to have them drop if it was that bad, as well. Stinks that you are past the "get any money back" deadline, though, and will have to pay for it twice if you take it again later. :/ 

• Like 1

I was going to mention this last time, but I forgot. I took an advanced programming course (upper division) that was abysmal. She used other instructors’ PowerPoints that were from online classes and literally just read them in a mandatory-attendance class. The projects were also somebody else’s and answers were readily available online.

The biggest problem was that we were supposed to be learning the advanced nuances of C++, but this class did intro-level projects in swift, java, and i don’t even remember what because I dropped. It was so bad, I gave up. Even though there was no way I wouldnt get an A, I couldnt waste my time any more.

The class was so bad and I was so pissed that I petitioned for my money back and actually received it. I took the W and the refund. I’m telling you this just to show that it’s possible. Document everything. I had multiple unanswered emails and documented all of the times she never showed up to office hours (to sign my drop form. So many people there for help that never got help) in addition to submitting the lessons she stole from other websites.

At any rate, :grouphug:

• Like 3

I was going to mention this last time, but I forgot. I took an advanced programming course (upper division) that was abysmal. She used other instructors’ PowerPoints that were from online classes and literally just read them in a mandatory-attendance class. The projects were also somebody else’s and answers were readily available online.

The biggest problem was that we were supposed to be learning the advanced nuances of C++, but this class did intro-level projects in swift, java, and i don’t even remember what because I dropped. It was so bad, I gave up. Even though there was no way I wouldnt get an A, I couldnt waste my time any more.

The class was so bad and I was so pissed that I petitioned for my money back and actually received it. I took the W and the refund. I’m telling you this just to show that it’s possible. Document everything. I had multiple unanswered emails and documented all of the times she never showed up to office hours (to sign my drop form. So many people there for help that never got help) in addition to submitting the lessons she stole from other websites.

At any rate, :grouphug:

Wow...that's just...wow.  Glad you got your money back at least.

She said the test will focus on what was covered in class.  I think I can condense what was covered in about three pages handwritten.  So she is telling us that 300 something pages of detailed information from the book boils down to three pages of info she covered in class?  And she repeated the absolute most basic points multiple times whereas the more difficult points she barely skimmed.  We'll have no chance to ask any questions because no heads up given about this test.  She said she has not even written it yet.  I don't understand this situation...AT ALL.  I mean gee I think I've taken 100 classes in my life and not once have I had any experience like this. 

:glare:  :glare:  :glare: