Menu

Falling asleep after lunch!

I find the fewer carbs we eat, the easier it is to keep going after lunch!

I'll second that. Carbs sap my energy big-time. I do better if I save high carb foods until the diner meal and then only if I don't have to go out anywhere after dinner. This is especially true for any grains. If I can stick to proteins, a bit of veggies, and a bit of fruits during the day I am more energetic.

I give in and take a nap.

I do this daily. 30-45 minutes. My son reads while I nap. If he's really tired, he takes a nap, too, but that usually doesn't happen. When it does, he knows school will go longer.

I have a timer on my nightstand. That's its home, and I use it daily.

How do you deal with getting so sleepy after lunch and your 7th grader too??? We are like in la la land after lunch.... any suggestions?

Thanks, Julie who just had a cup of coffee.

Slightly lighter lunch (maybe a snack about 10 am or 2pm too) and a stroll around the block as soon as the dishes are away.

I deal with sleepiness by taking a nap. It boils down to this: Do I sleep late and feel like I've wasted half the day, or do I take a nap after I've accomplished quite a bit?

Usually I need a nap to offset waking up, wide awake, about 5 hours after I've gone to bed. Right now, I've been up for 2 hours and I'm going to go back to bed for 2 hours, and I'll still be short an hour of sleep.

Plus, a study shows that napping is good for your heart. I figure what's good for my heart is good for me!

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=napping-good-for-heart

RC

I changed our whole schedule and routine so that I could have a nap! I have done that all this year and it has made such a difference for me- but I like naps, I know some people don't. What I do is make sure I have completed my work with the kids- and they only have independent work after lunch, or soon after lunch.

In many countries it is normal and natural to rest after lunch- I wouldn't try and go against it. My kids don't seem to need to rest though, but they usually only have reading left so end up taking their book to bed quite often.

I would rather start early so that we finish soon after lunch, than have to work again later!

Thanks for everyone's advice. The nap would be wonderful, but because of time it's maybe out so I will try a different lunch or something.

JUlie

I've had very good luck with the 5 or 10 minute nap at various points in life. One of the reasons I love my (relative to everyone else and my years of training) low paid job is that there is often 5 minutes to lay my head down and snooze at the tail end of lunch. Sometimes our little lunch room looks like a college library...with 3 people all slumped over the table.

Once you have the habit, you spring up very refreshed.