Menu

Help me with packing!

MomOfABunch

Who wants to help me with packing? We are going for 6 months to North Africa. We are shipping a car from the US, and it will take 6-8 weeks to arrive. Our tickets are on a no frills airline where we will have carry on only for the flight. Before ending up in Africa, we will spend a few weeks traveling around France, so anything we carry on the plane we will have to shlep all around France, hence sending most everything we will need in Africa ahead with the car.

I’m having trouble figuring out what to send ahead in the car because daily use and school stuff, well we use it daily. I’d have to buy duplicates of math books, manipulative, etc. but that seems silly. What would you send in the car? What would you carry on in backpacks?

Kids are 15, 15, 9, 7, 4.

Who wants to help me with packing? We are going for 6 months to North Africa. We are shipping a car from the US, and it will take 6-8 weeks to arrive. Our tickets are on a no frills airline where we will have carry on only for the flight. Before ending up in Africa, we will spend a few weeks traveling around France, so anything we carry on the plane we will have to shlep all around France, hence sending most everything we will need in Africa ahead with the car.

I’m having trouble figuring out what to send ahead in the car because daily use and school stuff, well we use it daily. I’d have to buy duplicates of math books, manipulative, etc. but that seems silly. What would you send in the car? What would you carry on in backpacks?

Kids are 15, 15, 9, 7, 4.

I would not worry about school while you are in France.  That should help some.

Overall, enjoy!  What a treat!

• Like 1

Absolutely, no school in France!

The issue I’m looking at there is what do I do before we leave for schoolwork if I ship all their books? We have to ship the car 2 months before we actually leave.

You enjoy the break.  Just don't worry about the bookwork at all.  Focus on the joy of the journey. If the older kids need some math to stay focused you can do that easily without a bunch of books.

Totally agree with the PPs. No school in France, and for the period of time you’re home with no books - find real life math practice. For your older kids, if you’re worried about it - I’m sure you can find printable stuff on the internet. But I’d just take a break from the books and plan, organize, do fun school, and go!

OR keep your school things at home and don’t do much book work while you’re gone for six months. maybe there are some inexpensive books you could get to ship ahead of time, or while you’re gone do work on tablets. Sounds like traveling could be quite the educational experience. There’s got to be a cheap and easy way to get some math practice in without needing to bring all your usual things.

• Like 1

Please double check about putting things in your car to ship. We’ve shipped cars all over the world, and we’re never allowed to leave anything in them, even car seats and tool boxes. Also, when things are left in cars they tend to go walkabout. So check with your shipper.

Edited for typos.

Edited by diplomum

Where in North Africa you are going will make a difference in what you should take. Don’t assume there are playgrounds or libraries. Ask detailed questions of people there to see what you truly can’t buy and what you can buy for a price, and then decide what you can and cannot live without for 6 months.

And to add to my previous post about the car, don’t rely on those shipping estimates. Even if by some miracle your car arrives in 6 weeks, it can take several more weeks to clear customs and then an additional few weeks to get registered and plated. I’d seriously consider paying for extra bags and left luggage in France.

• Like 1

Please double check about putting things in your car to ship. We’ve shipped cars all over the world, and we’re never allowed to leave anything in them, even car seats and tool boxes. Also, when things are left in cars they tend to go walkabout. So check with your shipper.

Edited for typos.

That’s correct for shipping a car only. We’re sending it in a container, so I’m told it’s fine. Thanks for double checking though!

Where in North Africa you are going will make a difference in what you should take. Don’t assume there are playgrounds or libraries. Ask detailed questions of people there to see what you truly can’t buy and what you can buy for a price, and then decide what you can and cannot live without for 6 months.

And to add to my previous post about the car, don’t rely on those shipping estimates. Even if by some miracle your car arrives in 6 weeks, it can take several more weeks to clear customs and then an additional few weeks to get registered and plated. I’d seriously consider paying for extra bags and left luggage in France.

We’re going to Tunisia. I’ve been before so I have a general idea. I can’t buy much in English, so anything we will need schoolwise, I have to bring. No English libraries. That’s a good point about customs. We’re not planning on registering or playing it there.

Oh that’s great about the container. I’m still unsure how you will be able to drive the car with US plates, though, and to be perfectly honest it’s the last thing I’d want security wise.

My husband is a Tunisian citizen. He assures me that it’s fine. We’re planning to take it to and from Tunisia a few times on the ferry to Europe and ship it back home when we go, essentially passing through rather than moving there.

Edited by MomOfABunch

I did some googling and I see that there are provisions in Tunisia for short term ex-pats to bring a car and drive it on foreign plates. I’m sure you’ve done all this research and more - I’m just answering my own question.

Thanks for checking. What my husband said was that we’ll have to show customs our American passports when we pick it up and they’ll let us bring it in without hassle. I can find out the exact info if you’re really interested 😀