Menu

Feature films with history tie-ins

Earthmerlin

We liked 'The Night at the Museum' trilogy for family night and my 8 year old has learned quite a bit from these films. Granted, what she's learned was due to follow-up discussions and readings, etc. The movies provided the historical figures as springboards though. The movies were not only educational in this sense but also entertaining and (relatively) clean. Can anyone recommend other feature films along this vein that squeeze in some history? I briefly looked at 'Mr Peabody & Sherman' (gosh how I loved 'Rocky & Bullwinkle' back in the day, LOL) but reviews have it as dark in certain ways. I'm looking for light-hearted and clean but (quasi) educational historical fun.

We really liked Peabody and Sherman. I can't think of what would be dark ... there is one joke that has sexual innuendo, but I think it would go over most kids' heads.

I read somewhere there were negative attitudes on adoption and stereotypes re: females? I will snag a copy from the library and preview it. I'd also like to see how much history is thrown into the mix. I heard there's a bit of science as well? If so, that may just be up my little girl's alley.

Edited by Earthmerlin

I'm looking for movies to supplement Sonlight Core D (movies to go with US History -- elementary ages)

Videos/DVDs/movies for Early Modern Times? (age appropriate for 7yo -- US & World)

Historical movies and documentaries to supplement Story of the World vol. 1 (ancient history -- elementary ages)

Thanks for this and I will look at the links more in depth this weekend. I guess I'm looking for pure entertainment, if that makes sense, with history as an add-in or in the background. I don't know if this makes sense. I'd like them to be movies entertaining enough we'd get replay value out of them. KWIM? Edited by Earthmerlin

Thanks for this and I will look at the links more in depth this weekend. I guess I'm looking for pure entertainment, if that makes sense, with history as an add-in or in the background. I don't know if this makes sense. I'd like them to be movies entertaining enough we'd get replay value out of them. KWIM?

Yes, I think a number of the movies I listed were released as pure entertainment, not with any intentional educational aspect about them. ;) I tried to come up with enjoyable films set in a historical time frame.

Things like The Sound of Music (just on the edge of WW2), or The Great Race (turn of the century).

• Like 1

Yes, I think a number of the movies I listed were released as pure entertainment, not with any intentional educational aspect about them. ;) I tried to come up with enjoyable films set in a historical time frame.

Things like The Sound of Music (just on the edge of WW2), or The Great Race (turn of the century).

Yes, thanks SO much! You're the best!