Menu

Since we've been talking about what you do vs what you don't do ...

Ann.without.an.e

So when mine were fairly little, I had this brilliant idea that I wanted to make those file folder type games.  I bought several of the books from Carson Dellosa (or someone like that).  I started cutting and laminating.  So many tiny pieces, it was absolutely ridiculous.  Then one day I just threw it all away.  Yep, I spent a ton of money on those books, started cutting on them, started laminating the pieces, etc. but then I just shook my head and said "no way" and tossed them.   :lol:   It was way more time consuming than I ever anticipated.  Now that they are all grown I wish I had just spent that wasted time on more reading time with them, all snuggled by my side, rather than frustrating myself with all of the ideals that just sucked the life out of me.  Simplicity is the key.  Blink and they'll be grown. 

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 9

SO happy at how much reading we did the entire time -- from the time we brought DS#1 home from the hospital... at bedtime... or morning couch snuggling... or in the bathtub... up in the tree out back... under a card table fort... And all through pre-school... all through homeschooling... and the occasional read-aloud or family "reader's theater" even while DSs were in college! How fun! How special!  :001_wub:

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I have absolutely zero regrets about how I did our elementary school. I was extremely relaxed/borderline unschooler for K-3 and still fairly relaxed for 4-5th. We did so much reading, and playing, and a little math, and everyone turned out just fine. 😊

I have been turning the heat up all through middle school and they are getting used to longer school days and more formal academics. High school next year is going to be even more. I am glad I enjoyed those days when they little. I never understood families doing hours of seat work in elementary school. We did so much reading aloud though. Such a precious time with your little ones- I can't believe how fast it went. I need to make more time for middle school read alouds. They would love it, but these days things are harder and harder to fit in.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 3

Bedtime stories are priceless.

SO happy at how much reading we did the entire time -- from the time we brought DS#1 home from the hospital... at bedtime... or morning couch snuggling... or in the bathtub... up in the tree out back... under a card table fort... And all through pre-school... all through homeschooling... and the occasional read-aloud or family "reader's theater" even while DSs were in college! How fun! How special!  :001_wub:

I have absolutely zero regrets about how I did our elementary school. I was extremely relaxed/borderline unschooler for K-3 and still fairly relaxed for 4-5th. We did so much reading, and playing, and a little math, and everyone turned out just fine. 😊

I have been turning the heat up all through middle school and they are getting used to longer school days and more formal academics. High school next year is going to be even more. I am glad I enjoyed those days when they little. I never understood families doing hours of seat work in elementary school. We did so much reading aloud though. Such a precious time with your little ones- I can't believe how fast it went. I need to make more time for middle school read alouds. They would love it, but these days things are harder and harder to fit in.

We did lots of reading too.  Treasured times for sure.  

• Like 2

Count me in as one of those who made those file folder games lol!  My older kids don't really remember the file folder games but they remember fondly the books we read when they were little. There is such a huge age gap between my big kids and my little kids, but they can still bond over those stories.

I wish I had listen to the little voice in my head that said not everything they learned about had to produce a paper trail to be valid when my big kids were little. Paint, playdoh, blocks, playing outside and read alouds really is plenty for kindergarten. There is no rush to get to chapter books, there really are plenty of fabulous picture books out there to read until they are ready to transition to chapter books.

• Like 2