Menu

Article: “Why Sexual Abuse Goes Unnoticed� (some CC)

JumpyTheFrog

Historically, and honestly even today, nothing is done until there are three or four women all reporting that a man has assaulted them. I understand "his word against hers" but for reporting purposes, victim's voices seem to be about 1/4 of a voice. Especially if there is no physical evidence, why would anyone want to go through the public humiliation and questioning and doubting, when it's unlikely to achieve anything. It requires someone to be both courageous and selfless to report, honestly. I totally get why people aren't reporting to the police.

I was wondering about this, so I looked up the Kevin Spacey timeline of events, since his accusers aren't women.

Within two days of one public accusation he had lost his coming Emmy and his House of Cards job was suspended. That public accusation is about something that happened 30 years ago.

I'm glad that people are taking it seriously, it just seems a striking juxtaposition with the recent female-victim scandals.

• Like 3

I was wondering about this, so I looked up the Kevin Spacey timeline of events, since his accusers aren't women.

Within two days of one public accusation he had lost his coming Emmy and his House of Cards job was suspended. That public accusation is about something that happened 30 years ago.

I'm glad that people are taking it seriously, it just seems a striking juxtaposition with the recent female-victim scandals.

The Nassar scandal had been going on for years, and some politicians have been in positions of power for decades, so the timeline certainly isn’t unique.

Christian content follows:

Our history is full of accounts of people who were given commands by God and did not follow them, and the consequences they reaped, and that we continue to reap today. Justice is sometimes swift and sometimes slow. To be sure, the best way to keep your sin from becoming public, is not to do it.

But, if you will not do so, behold, you have sinned against the Lord, and be sure your sin will find you out (Numbers 32:23).

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

the speed of his firing, etc. may have had something to do with the fact that there were rumors for years about him.  

But, yeah... women need more fellow-victims before they're believed, it seems.  Same with children often times.  

• Like 3

the speed of his firing, etc. may have had something to do with the fact that there were rumors for years about him.

But, yeah... women need more fellow-victims before they're believed, it seems. Same with children often times.

Also his accuser was 14 years old at the time of the incident. Edited by Sandwalker