Menu

Beast Academy struggling learners

Stibalfamily

Yes, that is correct. I don’t believe the arithmetic itself is especially challenging in Beast, but it includes a heavy dose of logic problems that are unlike any other math program I’ve seen. The logic problems are woven into the arithmetic, and that’s where the challenge comes from.

It also has a lower amount of practice/repetition than other programs, which is a challenge even for some gifted learners.

Edited by Jackie
  • Like 3

On grade level, it is definitely for gifted students.

However, if your goal is building enthusiasm for math with the comic book format and problems that show the depth of just what math can be (and as long as you're not leaving a child on her own with these problems, but approaching them as an opportunity for math talk and teamwork), I just think the books are amazing. And many of us use the books a year (or more!) behind where our children are according to grade for these purposes. But yes, definitely not as a sole curriculum.

• Like 3

On grade level, it is definitely for gifted students.

However, if your goal is building enthusiasm for math with the comic book format and problems that show the depth of just what math can be (and as long as you're not leaving a child on her own with these problems, but approaching them as an opportunity for math talk and teamwork), I just think the books are amazing. And many of us use the books a year (or more!) behind where our children are according to grade for these purposes. But yes, definitely not as a sole curriculum.

:iagree:

We use Beast several years behind Math Mammoth to make sure that foundational skills are really rock solid.  For example, my second son is half way through MM4, so clearly he has a strong grasp of place value, but he is just now finishing up Beast 2A and think he got a TON out of it, especially the place value chapter.  It just made him think about the topic in such deep, challenging, unique ways.

Since he is almost done with 2A, I've had to decide whether to wait for 2B to come out.  I'm sure DS could handle jumping right to 3A, but I've decided to have him go through 2B first because I think that will allow him to really focus on the thinking and problem solving without getting bogged down by any new concepts or arithmetic.

With my strong math students I end up sitting and puzzling through some of the challenge questions in Beast.  I think with a weaker math student I would probably need to provide even more support, but even requiring a lot of help, I think they would be learning a lot from Beast.

Wendy

• Like 1

My kiddo who has dyscalculia enjoys Beast. We work a level or two down, we pick and choose which problems to do, and we do a bit of review every day so that he doesn’t lose skills. I don’t expect him to retain everything in BA, but the deep and thinky approach helps him to retain the basic concepts. Edited to add that I sit with him while he works on it, and we frequently discuss/brainstorm approaches to the problems. It’s definitely not an independent program for him.

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 2

It is not traditional by any means (coming from a mama who uses Abeka in early years and then Saxon). Those are nuts and bolts arithmetic. BA has my 4th grade DD looking at math a completely different way. She is in 5th grade Saxon but is doing BA 3 alongside it. It is a great supplement and we really enjoy it but it is harder than a typical 3rd grade math curriculum.

• Like 1