Menu

HGTV.....do you ever wonder what it looks like a year later?

Ottakee

Anyone who likes open concept floorplans has never had six boys.

Just sayin'.

Or a life.

I only like the kitchen open to the family room. What I really wonder is who in the world does all of this entertaining that EVERYONE on the home shows claim to do? And why don't I know these people? (Besides, everyone I know seems to entertain just fine without wonderful gathering spots.)

;)

• Like 2

I hadn't given it much thought. Yeah, I mean, if you can't use the couch then what do you do? Sell it on CL? That would be a pain if you had to swap out a bunch of furniture. Would you have to wait to move in? lol

I think the furniture belongs to her company and if they want to keep it, they have to buy it. Except for the signature piece, the furniture doesn't come with the renovation.

• Like 1

I found it interesting last time I was house hunting, because there are some greys I like - my living room is a Farrow nd Ball are that I really love.  And I don't mind painted woodwork.  But once you have all those trendy elements together it really just seems to such the life out of it - I'm not sure it's all the cool colours and hard surfaces, or just the there seems to be like a house that was decorated by someone with zero personality.  I think at least partly the former because the houses with an older wood floor in a lighter, warmer colour are actually much easier on the eye than the ones with the dark floors.  In the others I felt like telling them to throw down an oriental rug and put up a few pictures.

:iagree: 

All the elements can look nice together with the right furnishings (and some pops of color).  For most homes on the market however,it is just the new builder's beige.  I also think the look works better in sunny locations than in places with gloomy winters.  

• Like 2

When we were looking for houses we rejected any that were too open. We love the house we found--the kitchen and family room are open to each other, but there is a separate living room and a dining room (now a homeschool room) that can be completely closed off. We looked at a ginormous house with an entirely open 1st floor. What do you even do with a gym-sized space? My childrens' already noisy voiced would echo all day and drive me around the bend. No thank you.

:iagree:

All the elements can look nice together with the right furnishings (and some pops of color).  For most homes on the market however,it is just the new builder's beige.  I also think the look works better in sunny locations than in places with gloomy winters.  

I'm not sure - it can look cold in winter when it is so stark.

In really warm climates I find I want more saturated colour.  Whereas a lot of those light bright clear colours are nice in northern lights. Even in the winter, they reflect a lot of light around which is nice. In a lot of the cases they are similar to the scandinavian colours, but somehow those seem to work better - maybe because they often include warmer woods?  Though they also have those pickled woods.  

When we were looking for houses we rejected any that were too open. We love the house we found--the kitchen and family room are open to each other, but there is a separate living room and a dining room (now a homeschool room) that can be completely closed off. We looked at a ginormous house with an entirely open 1st floor. What do you even do with a gym-sized space? My childrens' already noisy voiced would echo all day and drive me around the bend. No thank you.

I am with you on that.   I looked at one in my parent's neighborhood that the neighbors called the "One-Room House"   It was a 3000 sq. ft. house with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a kitchen and a ginormous room.  The thing that really jumped out at me was that the giant room was laid out as several easily identifiable rooms.   There just wasn't walls.  The only advantage I could see to the giant room is that you could play pool without hitting the walls.  The owner was a bachelor, so I guess noise wasn't a problem for him.   I really really liked the house except for the giant room.  He owned a shaper and made heavy use of it adding built-ins and moldings to the house.