Menu

You'll want to do something to clarify for sure, because you will need to send the official transcript from that high school to all the colleges he will apply to.

Perhaps set up your transcript with 5 columns instead of 4:

9th, 10th-A, 10th-B, 11th, 12th

or

grade 9 (2014-15), grade 10-1 (2015-16) grade 10-2 (2016-17), grade 11 (2017-18, grade 12 (2018-19)

And in the transcript, mark each course with a notation, and at the bottom of a good footnoting key to explain your notations, and indicate where/how each credit was done. Example:

PHS = private high school, ABC High School

HS = home school

DE = dual enrollment, QRS Community College

OS-1 = out-sourced provider #1, LMNOP Online Academy

OS-2 = out-sourced provider #2, DEF Online School

... etc.

And be sure to explain in your transcript "notes" section that 10th grade was repeated to serious illness.

Good luck in wearing your administrator hat for this one! <--   :hat:  Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

You'll want to do something to clarify for sure, because you will need to send the official transcript from that high school to all the colleges he will apply to.

This is my question....will I have to send a transcript if he can obtain all of his credits at home or dual enrollment?  

It is the sending of the transcript that will make it confusing.  If we don't need any of the credits from his one year of private school because he has done it all again, do we need to send/use the transcript?  I understand that if we need to use any of the credits from it then we need to send a transcript and show it, but what if we don't need a bit of it?

He is literally re-taking everything with me or via DE?

Technically, yes, you'll have to. Now, colleges might never find out if you don't, but they could kick your kid out etc if they do find out. 

ok, that wouldn't be ideal now would it?  :lol:   I am not trying to hide anything.  He doesn't have bad grades from said school.  I am just seeking simplicity and I just don't really want to explain it all.  I thought maybe it would be legally/ethically ok to not send a transcript if I didn't need the courses at all.  I understand I can't take the credit for him doing the course but then not send a transcript.

ok, that wouldn't be ideal now would it?  :lol:   I am not trying to hide anything.  He doesn't have bad grades from said school.  I am just seeking simplicity and I just don't really want to explain it all.  I thought maybe it would be legally/ethically ok to not send a transcript if I didn't need the courses at all.  I understand I can't take the credit for him doing the course but then not send a transcript.

See, the way the admissions applications for pretty much all colleges are written, is that you should include transcripts from all high schools attended. So, whether you're using any of the credits or whether it'd look confusing or is ethical etc is a moot point. It's not fun to have that kind of stuff hanging over you, if you go down that road (says the person who took the GED because it was cheaper and easier than having their high school diploma translated). 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 3

See, the way the admission applications for pretty much all colleges are written, is that you should include transcripts from all high schools attended. So, whether you're using any of the credits or whether it'd look confusing or is ethical etc is a moot point. It's not fun to have that kind of stuff hanging over you, if you go down that road (says the person who took the GED because it was cheaper and easier than having their high school diploma translated). 

That is what I needed help thinking through. Thank you.  I have never been in this situation of dual schools during high school before.  Crazy.  I just don't want to try to mesh and explain it.  It really isn't to hide anything, it is just me...not wanting to do something that I need to bite the bullet and just do  :lol:

• Like 1

That is what I needed help thinking through. Thank you.  I have never been in this situation of dual schools during high school before.  Crazy.  I just don't want to try to mesh and explain it.  It really isn't to hide anything, it is just me...not wanting to do something that I need to bite the bullet and just do  :lol:

Since he did get okay grades, couldn't you just not have him repeat the courses (maybe review a bit during the summer)? Because I agree, it probably would look confusing to colleges.

• Like 1

I have heard conflicting things about whether you need to send transcripts from all b&m high schools attended.  I did.

My son had credits from four places--our homeschool, a private b&m school, Oak Meadow, and the CC.  I just made two letter codes for each place and had a "code" column on the transcript.

There were a few courses at the "real" schools that ended up repeating something we did in homeschool.  In those cases, I just listed the b&m course.

If your son is repeating geometry, but he got a good grade at the private school, I'd just list the grade from the school.  What you're doing at home would count as "review."  I would list college level courses separately--so if he took US history in high school and again at the college level, I'd list both.

Also, my son left his private school midway through his junior year.  I didn't want to explain that, but it ended up being fairly straightforward.  I just put it in my counselor letter.

• Like 2

He is literally re-taking everything with me or via DE?

No. It does not matter that he is re-taking everything with you or via DE. You still must send an official private school transcript.

This is my question....will I have to send a transcript if he can obtain all of his credits at home or dual enrollment?  

Yes. You are required to send ALL official transcripts of any school he was registered in, when the school was overseeing his records. That would be:

all private or public high schools (unless it was just for a single class and YOU were still overseeing the administration of his records and coursework)

all community colleges (dual enrollment)

all universities (dual enrollment)

(You are not required to send transcripts from providers of single courses or several courses where you were still the overall administrator/registrar.)

It is the sending of the transcript that will make it confusing.  If we don't need any of the credits from his one year of private school because he has done it all again, do we need to send/use the transcript?  I understand that if we need to use any of the credits from it then we need to send a transcript and show it, but what if we don't need a bit of it?

No. It will not make it confusing.

Just because you don't "need" the credits for graduation doesn't mean you don't send the transcript. That will look like you are trying to hide something. When a student is officially registered in a high school and under their administration, even if just for ONE QUARTER, you still need to send an official transcript from that school.

Now, on your homeschool transcript:

1. You don't have to include credits you repeated at home (because you DO have to show the credits done at the private school) -- as EKS said, you could consider that review.

2. You don't have to include credits from the private school OR the community college (since you send official transcripts from both) -- you can let each transcript "stand on its own".

HOWEVER... I personally would still include everything on the homeschool transcript, because otherwise, frankly, that's going to end up being SO confusing to college admissions offices to get a transcript with 9th and 10th grade on it, and then a homeschool transcript with another, different 10th grade on it, and no explanation.

In my opinion, it is far LESS confusing to make the homeschool transcript the "master record" of what all happened during all of high school. And, you "get to control the story" of the two 10th grades. By including everything, you simplify and prevent confusion, and in the notes section of the transcript (as well as in any counselor letters) you just matter-of-factly state:

"DS started 9th grade at the private high school, but chronic illness prompted the switch to home school, as well as repeating of credits from 10th grade. By 11th and 12th grades, DS had recovered, and was progressing so well that dual-enrollment at the Community College was the best option for completing DS's high school career."

Just make 5 columns, note where each class was taken, make a clear and brief explanation of the reason for the repeated credits at the bottom of the transcript. Boom. Done. And you're golden. :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

No. It does not matter that he is re-taking everything with you or via DE. You still must send an official private school transcript.

Yes. You are required to send ALL official transcripts of any school he was registered in, when the school was overseeing his records. That would be:

all private or public high schools (unless it was just for a single class and YOU were still overseeing the administration of his records and coursework)

all community colleges (dual enrollment)

all universities (dual enrollment)

(You are not required to send transcripts from providers of single courses or several courses where you were still the overall administrator/registrar.)

No. It will not make it confusing.

Just because you don't "need" the credits for graduation doesn't mean you don't send the transcript. That will look like you are trying to hide something. When a student is officially registered in a high school and under their administration, even if just for ONE QUARTER, you still need to send an official transcript from that school.

Now, on your homeschool transcript:

1. You don't have to include credits you repeated at home (because you DO have to show the credits done at the private school) -- as EKS said, you could consider that review.

2. You don't have to include credits from the private school OR the community college (since you send official transcripts from both) -- you can let each transcript "stand on its own".

HOWEVER... I personally would still include everything on the homeschool transcript, because otherwise, frankly, that's going to end up being SO confusing to college admissions offices to get a transcript with 9th and 10th grade on it, and then a homeschool transcript with another, different 10th grade on it, and no explanation.

In my opinion, it is far LESS confusing to make the homeschool transcript the "master record" of what all happened during all of high school. And, you "get to control the story" of the two 10th grades. By including everything, you simplify and prevent confusion, and in the notes section of the transcript (as well as in any counselor letters) you just matter-of-factly state:

"DS started 9th grade at the private high school, but chronic illness prompted the switch to home school, as well as repeating of credits from 10th grade. By 11th and 12th grades, DS had recovered, and was progressing so well that dual-enrollment at the Community College was the best option for completing DS's high school career."

Just make 5 columns, note where each class was taken, make a clear and brief explanation of the reason for the repeated credits at the bottom of the transcript. Boom. Done. And you're golden. :)

Ok, so you do make it seem simple.  I should include his 9th grade year and both 10th grade years as well?  

I was originally going to only put his private school 10th grade on the transcript as 9th (and state why in notes and counselor letter), 

Edited by Attolia

Ok, so you do make it seem simple.  I should include his 9th grade year and both 10th grade years as well?  

I was originally going to only put his private school 10th grade on the transcript as 9th (and state why in notes and counselor letter), 

I would put both years, included the repeated year because the private school will send the transcript that has both and you not including it feels like you are trying to hide it again - even with the note. Explain why there was repetition and include everything, as Lori said. His health is a perfectly good explanation and the colleges will get it. They can decide what they want to include or not then, rather than you doing it.

• Like 2

I would put both years, included the repeated year because the private school will send the transcript that has both and you not including it feels like you are trying to hide it again - even with the note. Explain why there was repetition and include everything, as Lori said. His health is a perfectly good explanation and the colleges will get it. They can decide what they want to include or not then, rather than you doing it.

Ok, I think this will help the confusion.  I was just not sure how to show the 9th and two 10ths, etc.  You are right.  Put it all and let them figure it out.

• Like 3