Menu

How do you implement Center for Lit in fifth grade? And opinions?

Trilliumlady

I am highly intrigued by Center for Lit for this coming year. DD will be in fifth grade and is a voracious reader. She does, however, somewhat lack critical thinking and comprehension as she reads very quickly. How and what product from Center for Lit would you recommend? I think I understand the difference between the Reading Roadmap and Ready Readers but I’m not sure which I would prefer. I have a strong background in literature, but appreciate things laid out for me a low prep work if possible. What have been your experiences with this? Any other opinions?

Thank you!!

Have you looked at Teaching the Classics by Center for Lit? It is meant to be a parent/teacher support, but I watched the videos with my child. Adam Andrews does an excellent job of illustrating how to help your student analyze literature using Socratic questioning and discussion.

I have Reading Roadmaps and Ready Readers and think the Ready Readers offers more hand holding which is what I wanted. If you have a strong background in literature, you may be fine with Reading Roadmaps.

• Like 1

I used Ready Readers (2, I think - it had Miracles on Maple Hill, and I think Trumpet of the Swan) when my older son was in 5th. What I *didn't* like about it was that it saved all the work for the end of the book. After that I switched to lit guides for individual books that were broken down into daily lessons. We mostly used Moving Beyond the Page, but I used some Novel-Ties, Novel Units, and a Garlic Press guide. I actually like Novel-Ties the best for straight-forward literature study. Each book is broken into daily reading assignments - and there are comprehension questions, more open-ended discussion questions, vocabulary work, introduction to basic literary elements and figurative language, and lots of writing prompts. MBTP has fewer questions, more grammar, and a ton of projects that I consider crafts & busywork. I do like their writing instruction though - it's nicely scaffolded.

I love doing literature units with my kids. We pretty much always have a book that we are using a guide with. It has really enriched our homeschooling - we read the book together a bit at a time, compare characters, map out the plot, learn new vocabulary, play around with language ... and it's a sweet shared experience cuddled on the couch. I know others say that they don't see the point, but I just wanted to chime in and say I can't imagine homeschooling without them. 

ETA: Reading Roadmaps is just the nitty-gritty plot details for you. It's not a literature guide at all. Look at the samples - it's hardly anything you wouldn't figure out by reading any synopsis of the book.

Edited by ondreeuh

I just discuss some (not all) of the books my kids read, using Socratic dialog similar to what the Andrews teach in TTC. It really is worth watching, if you haven't. They have redone it and the old version is often for sale at a good price, if you watch used curriculum boards (here, Homeschool Classifieds).

My 5th grader next year will do the Center for Lit online class if there is anyway we can swing the money because he needs some things taught by someone other than me. More about the relationship than the schoolwork. 

• Like 1