Menu

Physics Help

Hi fellow homeschoolers,

I am looking for an online class with live options for physics for my kiddo next year. We have had mixed experience with WTMA, and would like other options for science for next year. Is clovercreek our only options? PAH is AP only. If you prefer not to post here, feel free to message me. I am trying to spend more time making right choices for my kiddo this year so we can have a good physics experience

Thank you!

• Like 1

you can post your questions here - different people have used different programs and can speak to their strengths

We have some WTMA science class, but are looking to see what other live online classes are out there as it has been a mixed bag experience for us. My goal is to do regular/honors physics this year, and AP physics the following year since I have a STEM oriented kid. Hoping for algebra based as we will be taking calculus next year. So I am looking for a real good solid physics course that is secular (I am fine with a non-secular online schools  as long as they use a secular book). I am willing to do a recorded online class if the videos are high quality.

I am looking for experience with certain classes. I see that clovercreek has several rave review here, but I didn't see them for WHA(which I know is classical/Christian, but sounds like their science is secular, I hope!)

I don't want to do DE yet.

Thank you again for offering to give your advice.

Wilson Hill uses the Novare series for science. You can find samples of their books online. The authors are Christian but are not young earth. I don’t know whether that means theistic evolution or just Old earth. For algebra-based high school physics, that distinction might not matter either way.

I think The Potters School also uses at least some of the Novare books.

I would think that WHA physics would be a little stronger than CC as I believe CC uses Conceptual Physics, but am not sure.

Another option is Derek Owens (online but not live).

There are other options than in the listed thread, but it is more difficult to find reviews for them here. For example, some states have virtual schools that are mostly available for public school students, but will allow homeschoolers to take a class. These of course will be secular.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 1

Wilson Hill uses the Novare series for science. You can find samples of their books online. The authors are Christian but are not young earth. I don’t know whether that means theistic evolution or just Old earth. For algebra-based high school physics, that distinction might not matter either way.

I think The Potters School also uses at least some of the Novare books.

I would think that WHA physics would be a little stronger than CC as I believe CC uses Conceptual Physics, but am not sure.

Another option is Derek Owens (online but not live).

There are other options than in the listed thread, but it is more difficult to find reviews for them here. For example, some states have virtual schools that are mostly available for public school students, but will allow homeschoolers to take a class. These of course will be secular.

Clover Creek Physics does use Conceptual Physics as its spine, but the instructor includes a lot of problem-solving too. Algebra I is a prerequisite. My son is taking Clover Creek Physics this year and it is an excellent class . . . I agree with all the rave reviews I've read here. 

From their website http://www.clovercreekscience.com/

the ancillary materials include extensive algebraic-based problem solving

I'm not familiar with Novare/WHA physics to know how it compares.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

Clover Creek Physics does use Conceptual Physics as its spine, but the instructor includes a lot of problem-solving too and Algebra I is a prerequisite.

Yeah, I don’t know. I haven’t used either class and was just trying to help the OP. I did use Conceptual Physics at home and added additional problem solving beyond the level that was in the book, and I don’t believe that what I did was close to an honors level high school physics course. However, there are a large number of positive reviews of that particular class and in the case of this type of class, the additional instruction given in the class is what is going to bring up the level.

Likewise, it is also possible that a class could use a textbook that includes more topics and more advanced material, but just not assign the harder problems or cover as many topics. In effect, that class may be no more difficult than the one with the simpler textbook. But the text is just one thing to look at. Teaching is important, too.

Here is what Novare says about their physics: https://www.novarescienceandmath.com/extras/faq/

“Our physics and chemistry texts are suitable for AP classes designed by the College Board. Chemistry for Accelerated Students can be used with AP Chemistry, and Physics: Modeling Nature can be used with the AP Physics 1/2 curriculum. In each case, the text covers the entire AP curriculum with a small number of exceptions. (For example, in the case of AP Chemistry, our text does not address the topics of sigma and pi bonding.) Those considering AP courses should note two important points. First, AP courses require a great deal of planning and entail particular ways of organizing and emphasizing course material. Our texts do not address these particulars. Instructors are advised to undertake a training course administered by the College Board in order to be properly trained for conducting an AP course. Second, the AP curriculum for both these courses requires a significant laboratory component. The experiments books we supply for use with our chemistry and physics courses are not extensive enough to meet the demands of the AP curriculum. Instructors need to implement a laboratory program using a suitable set of experiments. Implementing such a program requires a substantial amount of time each week.“

Edited by Penelope

Clover Creek Physics does use Conceptual Physics as its spine, but the instructor includes a lot of problem-solving too. Algebra I is a prerequisite. My son is taking Clover Creek Physics this year and it is an excellent class . . . I agree with all the rave reviews I've read here. 

We are leaning heavily toward clover creek - just wish it wasn't only on Thursday as that is our Co-op day.

WTMA is going to do physics in the fall - just not sure we want to be guinea pigs for the first class.