Menu

Buying a phone from Motorola or Amazon vs from Verizon?

Ottakee

I am in need of a new phone. I have always just gone to the Verizon store and bought one. I see now that there are other options and cheaper options by buying elsewhere.

I am looking at the Moto g5 plus as it is just over $200 and rated a best value phone. I am open to others but I want a smaller screen size but great battery life (apple see doesn't have a great battery or I would consider that one) with great signal capture as we live in an area with weaker signals so sometimes the cheap phones drop calls or lose signal. We are tied to Verizon for the same reason as it has hands down the best coverage where I live.

I just want to know if I will be able to figure out how to activate/set up a new phone of I don't buy from Verizon

• Like 1

No cost from Verizon to set it up. I just did this with the moto5g plus and had no problems. I also recommend an unlocked phone.

If you're at all interested, I have an LG g3 phone from Verizon I'd be glad to send you for the cost of shipping.

Thanks for the wonderful offer. I looked it up buy it has the same operating system as my current phone and I need an upgrade to run some newer things.

SJ do you like the phone? How much for Verizon to set it up?

I hate having to make these decisions.

No cost. It belongs to my dh and he loves it. It was a replacement for a Samsung Galaxy s4 that was purchased when the s4 was the latest and greatest. Lol

We also have two Moto g4 play phones that work well and are still working great after a year. My biggest advice is to buy as much memory and RAM as you can afford. Even with using an SD card for photos and videos phones seem to fill up fast!

That's the model I suggested to someone who lives in a rural area in Nebraska here many months ago. She and others have purchased that model. If I could, I would buy it directly from the Motorola web site. There, you are positive that it will not only be UNLOCKED, but that it will also be UNBRANDED. And, you will not have any doubts about the Motorola warranty, etc.

Yes, you could buy on Amazon or eBay and probably you would be perfectly happy if you did so, but if the cost differential is minimal, I suggest purchasing on Motorola.com

Regarding "Setup" that you mentioned. As you probably know, Motorola is phasing out the CDMA technology and moving to the GSM technology. All you need to do is to put the SIM card into the slot for the Primary SIM card (I am assuming it is a Dual SIM model, but I can't remember if that's true or not) and it will help you with the Setup.

You should have a Google account for it before you begin the configuration when you first turn it on. If you are moving from another Android phone, the move from the old phone to the new phone will be pretty easy. The Phone will help you do the Set up and moving from your old phone.

It is NOT like a CDMA phone, where the provider must do the setup to configure the phone number to that particular phone.

ENJOY!