Menu

Science in the Beginning vs The Good and the Beautiful

I am planning what science we will use next for your my younger two, who will be in second and third grade.  I am looking at either Science in the Beginning or The Good and the Beautiful science.  Which one would you recommend?

If I had to pick one from those, it would be Science in the Beginning.

The Good And The Beautiful threw me for a loop when they announced Pangea broke only a few thousand years ago, as a result of the tower of Babel story.  Not exactly something I would ever feel comfortable teaching, especially in a subject that requires fact and evidence.

• Like 2

If I had to pick one from those, it would be Science in the Beginning.

The Good And The Beautiful threw me for a loop when they announced Pangea broke only a few thousand years ago, as a result of the tower of Babel story.  Not exactly something I would ever feel comfortable teaching, especially in a subject that requires fact and evidence.

Thank you for your comment.  I think Dr. Jay Wile believes in new earth as well.  I wonder how he handles the age of the earth in his elementary science series.

Thank you for your comment.  I think Dr. Jay Wile believes in new earth as well.  I wonder how he handles the age of the earth in his elementary science series.

From what I have read, after skimming the book and reading some reviews, he is focused more on the creation aspect and not on dates.

• Like 2

Science in the Beginning hands down. We actually tried a Good and the Beautiful science unit earlier in the year (along with their LA and History) and none of it really worked for us. It felt all over the place to me and not nearly as in depth as what we've done before (even when I fly by the seat of my pants!).

But that's just me. Some people do love it. There are some good reviews on youtube if you want to get more of a feel for what it's like. GraceandGrit's channel is the one that comes to mind.

• Like 1

Wile handles this very gracefully in Science in the Beginning.  It was so refreshing after the Apologia Young Explorers series, which really bashed on secular thinkers and scientists as people who were trying to obscure the truth.  We teach an ancient earth and we teach evolution, and I had no trouble working with Science in the Beginning. 

My child does know that Jay Wile does not believe that the theory of evolution is a robust one, and I am very happy that he has the chance to see good science being taught by someone from a different faith perspective.  The trouble with Jeannie Fulbright's critiques of old earth/evolution was that they were very poorly reasoned and made it hard for me to show my child how logical, reasonable people can come to different conclusions on some of these theologically loaded topics. 

I haven't read The Good and the Beautiful so cannot comment on that book.  I will say that if you do Science in the Beginning, we found the Nature's Workshop materials kit (from Rainbow Resource) very handy indeed. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 3

We've been doing Science in the Beginning this year and we are enjoying it very much. We also do not believe in young earth but have had no problems with this science. The kids (advanced 1st grader and a 4th grader) have been learning a ton and bring up topics when we see things in real life. So I'm even happy with the retention.

The Rainbow Resource deluxe kit is worth every penny. It has saved me so much time hunting things down and the demonstrations are actually getting done because everything we need is at our fingertips.

• Like 2