Menu

Want to help me brainstorm? (Math related)

Mandamom

I'll try and answer any questions that you may have. 

Background: 

I currently work in a small K-12 school (under 70 students) designed for students with reading and language disabilities. As is typical, many students also struggle with math.  Our approach, more closely resembles tutoring or homeschooling. we offer a 1/2 day program for homeschoolers, too. We use IEW, MUS, Wordly Wise,  and utilize OG sequence and methods for all classes. We don't have much of a budget so our resources are limited. 

Objective: 

We are looking to create a Math Application scope/sequence and supporting room to reach a small group of 7-9 grade  students (could be up to 8 to start) who struggle tremendously with math. The focus will be on real life math, including, money, time, measurement and the many things that fit into these categories. We are hoping to be as hands-on as possible and have a room that will hold a variety of resources. Our school uses Math-U-See, already, so we have those materials. We have IPADS/computers for occasional use. 

Although these students have been exposed to these topics, this group of students continues to struggle with the basics. They are functionally between a second to fourth grade level in math. We will be starting with making sure they can count and utilize money and progress from there. Most have difficulties with one-to-one correspondence, sequencing, memory, attention and language. Most are also dyslexic. 

Questions: 

1) What topics/ideas/lessons/scope sequence might you consider for something like this? 

Project Based learning ideas: 

Topics to explore

2) What might you buy to put into this small classroom? These are middle schoolers so needs to be interesting to them.

rulers, measuring sticks, play $$, MUS manipulatives, money, 

3) Because we are a school we have to assess them. If you have any ideas? (paper tests, projects, etc.) 

Thanks so much for playing along. Your knowledge and creativity is appreciated. 

Edited by Mandamom

Are you talking average or above average intelligence students that struggle with math due to something like dyscalculia?

Some are but most of them are average to low average. Its really a mix. 

Some of the students in this small group (6-8 students) have dyscalculia. Most of the group is on the low average side with additional language, attention and memory issues. 

We don't have time frames for what we need to accomplish like many public schools so lessons and skills can be worked on as long as needed. 

Edited by Mandamom

Personally I don't know that I could get MUS to work for my gifted with SLDs kid, so I'm kinda stuck right off the bat. Like it's making me think nothing I think applies, if you can get MUS to work for them, kwim? 

My ds has serious issues in number sense, so I'm always trying to connect things back to hands-on and reality. What I notice is that math for middle school with autism (like on Christine Reeve's excellent TPT store) is also very focused on reality, not getting screwed by the math of life. It's basic things like would I know what bill to use to pay for something at the store or how to realize there was a serious error with the change. 

I've spent hours upon hours scouring through the ebooks at various publishers (Evan Moor, Teacher Created, Scholastic, etc.). I particularly like the Using the Standards series, because they seem to do a good job of connecting the skills back to reality and building concepts slowly and progressively. In the sections on measurement, we spend a lot of time actually MEASURING and measuring in real and interesting ways. It's stuff that maybe in theory I know to do but having the structure of a worksheet gives me the prompt and makes it happen.

There are curricula more commonly used by the ps for ID situations (Touch Math, etc.). I haven't used them. They seem to emphasize gentle progression and repetition. My ds doesn't need repetition so much as he needs to have a connection and have it click in his mind. That's a pretty dramatic difference, kwim? Also, my ds has issues with generalization (from the autism) meaning he can learn it in one context and have it be totally unfamiliar in the next. It means I have to take a new concept and APPLY it lots of places to get it to generalize. I'm constantly changing up manipulatives and scenarios, because I need 2+5 to be 7 EVERYWHERE. If your kids have issues with generalization, it's something to watch for. So a single, repetitive curriculum would be a total miss for my ds but might be perfect for a student who has a different set of needs. But just to look at them mathematically, they might look about the same level, kwim? But their needs could be totally different.

My ds also needs to be challenged, even while he's receiving remediation. I use brain teaser and daily problem solving pages. I particularly like stuff from Teacher Created, but Evan Moor has great stuff too. 

When I buy the ebooks, I print them out but only use a page at a time. I'll make packets for the day but handle a single page at a time to keep him from feeling overwhelmed. Since you have tech, you might even figure out smart ways to save on printing. I don't know what those ways would be, just saying there's probably a way. You could pull the files into pdf editors and stamp/write on them. There's an app, name I forget, that is pretty common for that in schools. Claro maybe. Might be other ways. Sky is the limit. You can use microsoft notebook (I'm forgetting what it is called) on the ipad, make notebooks of the pages, launch them to their pages, see their edits, etc. You could solve the problems together on an overhead while they solve on their ipads. I don't know. To me the printing cost is high. I do it because it works really, really well for my ds for structure, but I can see it being a deterrent.

Definitely try TPT.

My recommendations without knowing exactly what the issues are would be along the lines of having the educator read How the Brain Learns Mathematics by David Sousa and also read through the Ronit Bird books for ways to help.  I can't really recommend a one size fits all curriculum for students that struggle because I don't think there is one that works for all struggling students.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-the-brain-learns-mathematics-david-a-sousa/1125318777?ean=9781412953061&pcta=u&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_New+Core+Shopping+Textbooks_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP165116&gclid=Cj0KCQiA38jRBRCQARIsACEqIesIDDLtxwhSkF1nzDwy97N4mL9HloEPta5v9AUT9JgV1S5oqfGYrUYaAismEALw_wcB

http://www.ronitbird.com/

FWIW, having now worked with both of my kids for many years, what worked best was a blend of different resources.  CLE, CTC, MUS, Beast Academy, Math on the Level, Ronit Bird, Dynamo Math, Math in Focus, etc.  Seriously, there was never one particular system that was the gold standard for math.  We have had to use pieces from various ones to cobble together something that would work, especially for DD.   And they needed different things at different times.  I realize that is really tough to do in a classroom setting.  That is why I strongly recommend the above two resources to start with then go from there. 

One really lucky summer DD and DS were in a summer program at a school for kids with learning challenges.  The math teacher took a couple of days to dig in with each student and find their strengths and weaknesses then cobbled together individual math plans for every single student in her class.  DD made a lot of progress during the 5 weeks she was there.  If we could have moved to that state and had that math teacher it would have been wonderful.  Sadly that was not an option.  Having seen that teacher in action, though, I know it can be done.  She didn't have a ton of money or resources.  What she had was a great knowledge of how different brains process math and how to created a very effective differentiated learning environment that tapped into the students' strengths while helping their weak areas.  She did not use a one size fits all math program.  

Ok. Do these children have official evaluations that break down what their strengths and weaknesses are?

Or is the school sort of having to guess?

We've worked with these students for at least a year or two.We are changing the approach of what we are teaching them. 

I quoted myself to stay on track with the topic.  I want to preface this by saying I think it is great that you are trying to shift things to help them in a more effective way.  The reason I asked about assessments is because there could be MANY reasons each child is struggling and depending on the underlying issues may determine which way to leap.  

For instance, DD struggled in math all of her life.  She had the same math teacher from 3rd grade through 5th grade and made virtually NO progress.  I was working with her after school and was able to limp her along but neither the teacher nor I understood where her struggles were coming from.  The school assumed that since she was also struggling in her other classes that she was just not very bright and probably a bit lazy.  They were 100% wrong.  She is dyslexic and dyscalculic and has some word retrieval and processing issues.  She is also bright and a very hard worker.  Getting an official assessment opened up a world of information for us and helped me to find her a much more efficient path to learning.  Same with my son.

Let me give you an example:

DS was a brilliantly performing student from 4k - 1st.  Top of his class.  Rapid to catch on to everything.  Comprehension reading tests were 100s.  Spelling tests were 100s.  Hand writing was slow but readable.  Math was great.  He seemed to be reading above grade level.  Teachers who knew him then tagged him as gifted even though he had not been assessed.  He loved his teachers and they loved him.

2nd grade was different.  2nd grade his scores tanked, his anxiety and depression (that he had never had before) skyrocketed, and we had to pull him out mid-year.  Turns out he is dysgraphic, dyslexic, has an auditory processing issue, has developmental vision issues, etc.  In 2nd grade all of his weaknesses were hit and hit hard and none of his strengths were being tapped any longer.  His 2nd grade teacher labeled him as "difficult", "lazy", "not very bright", etc.

After an assessment what we discovered was that he wasn't actually really reading much at all.  He has a real gift for memorizing (and comprehending) what he has heard.  He was having me or others read books to him then he was "reading" those books to himself afterwards.  He could even "read" the book out loud to me verbatim, with full comprehension and inflection.  But he wasn't actually really reading most of the text.  He had memorized it.  His massive strength was masking his massive weaknesses.  By 2nd grade his strength in learning auditorily was not enough to get him by and neither the teacher nor I knew to try tapping into that strength.

In math he had full comprehension but in prior grade years he could write slowly and it wasn't an issue.  Starting in 2nd they had timed assessments and they had limited time to complete their daily math assignments.  He knew the answers but could not write quickly and he could not write legibly if he was rushed.  His math scores tanked. 

Also, most material had been in color in prior grades and the teacher would read the instructions to the class.  In 2nd grade the material was almost all in black print on a white page with NO auditory reinforcement.  During the assessment the evaluator showed me how with color and auditory input my son was functioning in many ways closer to high school level in most areas but if it was black and white and no auditory support his scores were so low that at times they didn't even statistically register on the assessment.  Testing him one way he looked gifted.  Testing him another way he appeared to have serious deficits in his basic intelligence.

Basically what I am saying is that without actual assessments it may be hard to know what is actually causing issues for each child that is struggling with math, regardless of how long a particular person has worked with that student (unless they are trained to determine individual strengths and weaknesses in each student).  That makes it harder to know what might help.

I'm just wondering how much is known about each individual child's struggles?  Where the struggles originate from...  

Either way, I wish you and your school the very best.  I promise I am not trying to be difficult.  I just want to mention that assessments can do a world of good if that avenue is available at some point.

• Like 2

My recommendations without knowing exactly what the issues are would be along the lines of having the educator read How the Brain Learns Mathematics by David Sousa and also read through the Ronit Bird books for ways to help.  I can't really recommend a one size fits all curriculum for students that struggle because I don't think there is one that works for all struggling students.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-the-brain-learns-mathematics-david-a-sousa/1125318777?ean=9781412953061&pcta=u&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_New+Core+Shopping+Textbooks_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP165116&gclid=Cj0KCQiA38jRBRCQARIsACEqIesIDDLtxwhSkF1nzDwy97N4mL9HloEPta5v9AUT9JgV1S5oqfGYrUYaAismEALw_wcB

http://www.ronitbird.com/

FWIW, having now worked with both of my kids for many years, what worked best was a blend of different resources.  CLE, CTC, MUS, Beast Academy, Math on the Level, Ronit Bird, Dynamo Math, Math in Focus, etc.  Seriously, there was never one particular system that was the gold standard for math.  We have had to use pieces from various ones to cobble together something that would work, especially for DD.   And they needed different things at different times.  I realize that is really tough to do in a classroom setting.  That is why I strongly recommend the above two resources to start with then go from there. 

One really lucky summer DD and DS were in a summer program at a school for kids with learning challenges.  The math teacher took a couple of days to dig in with each student and find their strengths and weaknesses then cobbled together individual math plans for every single student in her class.  DD made a lot of progress during the 5 weeks she was there.  If we could have moved to that state and had that math teacher it would have been wonderful.  Sadly that was not an option.  Having seen that teacher in action, though, I know it can be done.  She didn't have a ton of money or resources.  What she had was a great knowledge of how different brains process math and how to created a very effective differentiated learning environment that tapped into the students' strengths while helping their weak areas.  She did not use a one size fits all math program.  

I quoted myself to stay on track with the topic.  I want to preface this by saying I think it is great that you are trying to shift things to help them in a more effective way.  The reason I asked about assessments is because there could be MANY reasons each child is struggling and depending on the underlying issues may determine which way to leap.  

For instance, DD struggled in math all of her life.  She had the same math teacher from 3rd grade through 5th grade and made virtually NO progress.  I was working with her after school and was able to limp her along but neither the teacher nor I understood where her struggles were coming from.  The school assumed that since she was also struggling in her other classes that she was just not very bright and probably a bit lazy.  They were 100% wrong.  She is dyslexic and dyscalculic and has some word retrieval and processing issues.  She is also bright and a very hard worker.  Getting an official assessment opened up a world of information for us and helped me to find her a much more efficient path to learning.  Same with my son.

Let me give you an example:

DS was a brilliantly performing student from 4k - 1st.  Top of his class.  Rapid to catch on to everything.  Comprehension reading tests were 100s.  Spelling tests were 100s.  Hand writing was slow but readable.  Math was great.  He seemed to be reading above grade level.  Teachers who knew him then tagged him as gifted even though he had not been assessed.  He loved his teachers and they loved him.

2nd grade was different.  2nd grade his scores tanked, his anxiety and depression (that he had never had before) skyrocketed, and we had to pull him out mid-year.  Turns out he is dysgraphic, dyslexic, has an auditory processing issue, has developmental vision issues, etc.  In 2nd grade all of his weaknesses were hit and hit hard and none of his strengths were being tapped any longer.  His 2nd grade teacher labeled him as "difficult", "lazy", "not very bright", etc.

After an assessment what we discovered was that he wasn't actually really reading much at all.  He has a real gift for memorizing (and comprehending) what he has heard.  He was having me or others read books to him then he was "reading" those books to himself afterwards.  He could even "read" the book out loud to me verbatim, with full comprehension and inflection.  But he wasn't actually really reading most of the text.  He had memorized it.  His massive strength was masking his massive weaknesses.  By 2nd grade his strength in learning auditorily was not enough to get him by and neither the teacher nor I knew to try tapping into that strength.

In math he had full comprehension but in prior grade years he could write slowly and it wasn't an issue.  Starting in 2nd they had timed assessments and they had limited time to complete their daily math assignments.  He knew the answers but could not write quickly and he could not write legibly if he was rushed.  His math scores tanked. 

Also, most material had been in color in prior grades and the teacher would read the instructions to the class.  In 2nd grade the material was almost all in black print on a white page with NO auditory reinforcement.  During the assessment the evaluator showed me how with color and auditory input my son was functioning in many ways closer to high school level in most areas but if it was black and white and no auditory support his scores were so low that at times they didn't even statistically register on the assessment.  Testing him one way he looked gifted.  Testing him another way he appeared to have serious deficits in his basic intelligence.

Basically what I am saying is that without actual assessments it may be hard to know what is actually causing issues for each child that is struggling with math, regardless of how long a particular person has worked with that student (unless they are trained to determine individual strengths and weaknesses in each student).  That makes it harder to know what might help.

I'm just wondering how much is known about each individual child's struggles?  Where the struggles originate from...  

Either way, I wish you and your school the very best.  I promise I am not trying to be difficult.  I just want to mention that assessments can do a world of good if that avenue is available at some point.

"One really lucky summer DD and DS were in a summer program at a school for kids with learning challenges.  The math teacher took a couple of days to dig in with each student and find their strengths and weaknesses then cobbled together individual math plans for every single student in her class.  DD made a lot of progress during the 5 weeks she was there."

Could you please share which summer program did you use? we are looking into one if possible, we have math and reading struggles.Thanks.

• Like 1

"One really lucky summer DD and DS were in a summer program at a school for kids with learning challenges.  The math teacher took a couple of days to dig in with each student and find their strengths and weaknesses then cobbled together individual math plans for every single student in her class.  DD made a lot of progress during the 5 weeks she was there."

Could you please share which summer program did you use? we are looking into one if possible, we have math and reading struggles.Thanks.

Sure.  I don't know if the math teacher is still there (and it was absolutely her that made things work so well) but the school is Groves Academy in Minnesota.

https://www.grovesacademy.org/

Here is the summer program summary...

https://www.grovesacademy.org/learning-center/summer-school/

My kiddo is just like your students.  He is almost 15 and is in 8th grade (retained in 2nd grade) in public school but I pre-teach and re-teach math at home. He likes the social opportunities, STEM center, interactions with teachers (gets tired of me), and science at school.  He is extremely dyslexic but now reads well above age and grade level.  Also he has dyscalculia but LOVES math, and has a tenacious grip on grade level math.  He says "I love math, but math doesn't love me."  Anyway I let him use a calculator and never make him go back over basics.  When a kid does grade level middle school math they do get to practice all of the basic math functions.  Sometimes they will just suddenly discover that after plugging the same math facts into the calculator repeatedly in order to do grade level math that some of those pesky math facts seep into long term memory.  If not, who cares, they will need to at least algebra to survive in the real world so let them do it with calculators. These days everyone has a calculator on their phone all all times. It's degrading to have to do remedial math.  I fought very hard to ensure that teachers weren't torturing my son with the same remedial math facts year after year.  Let the kids do whatever their logic can handle.  Otherwise, they will learn to hate math, hate math facts, won't memorize those math facts, or learn anything above their current fourth grade level. Often struggling kids have grade level logic but can't consistently produce correct answers.  Praise correct logic, and help them fix the pesky little mistakes on their paper.  Let them do grade level work and they will be motivated to surprise you.  

Anyway, we loved the DragonBox app for introduction to the logic of algebra.  Then we used these Kumon Algebra I and Kumon Algebra II workbooks.  They have plenty of room to write the answers in the workbook.  It is exhausting for struggling kids to have to rewrite the problems.  Lots have eye tracking issues, transpose numbers when copying the problem, or have messy illegible handwriting.  Let them write in the books.  Also these Kumon books break all of the topics into tiny incremental steps, so success is almost guaranteed.  Finally the pages aren't too overwhelming (uncluttered pages).  Struggling students need lots of white space and less problems on each page.  Otherwise the page looks like an overwhelming impossible task.  People worry about having the most through curriculum but sometimes less is more.  Then once the student feels competent, they might decide that they like algebra enough to go more in depth by themselves.  If so there are lots of khan academy videos.  Anyway the two books cover topics up to linear functions including finding equations for parallel and perpendicular lines.  The titles are misleading - they cover Pre-Algebra and Algebra I.  I wish they made some workbooks for algebra II. 

Good Luck to you and your students.

I wouldn’t consider any scope and sequence plans without reading Dyscalculia: Action Plans for Successful Learning in Mathematics by Hannell.

Practically speaking, my DD wore a digital/analog watch combo until he mastered reading an analog clock. He also used a multiplication chart and a TI-15 calculator for fractions and percentages. Generally, DS requires a calculator with a larger screen to reduce input mistakes.

I’m a big fan of Ronit Bird and later James Tanton for math teaching.

http://www.jamestanton.com/

Bird demonstrates the subitizing activities and mastering the 4 operations.

Many algebra concepts did not solidify for DS until he took high school chemistry. Hands-on equations and MUS blocks are awesome for equation work and integer math. Tanton teaches specific methods for understanding parabolas, factoring equations, and completing the square.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1