Menu

Union question

Night Elf

My ds got into a union when he was working at Kroger as stock clerk. He quit his job last month but he is still receiving mail from them. I'm currently on hold to ask if he's automatically taken out of the union when he leaves his job but the call keeps saying call volume is higher than normal and to please hold. I don't know how long I'm willing to sit here waiting. 

So, do you know the answer to this question? We don't want him getting a bill at some time in the future for dues owed. They were taking $9 out of each of his weekly paychecks.

Oh, and ds is asleep during business hours so I'm making this call for him. Please don't make this aspect of it a big deal. We have a simple question only.

• Like 1

Yes, I just go through to a lovely, polite and helpful woman. She said she was from the insurance and benefits part of the Union and we're getting mail from them because they haven't yet received a notice of termination. I asked her if I needed to speak to someone at the Union office to ask them as well and she said she's fairly confident it's all done automatically. So I guess we won't worry about it. 

• Like 2

He will probably need to go to the office of the Union and get a Withdrawal card. Up to then, he will need to pay dues. I doubt very much that it is an automatic thing, after leaving a job.  He will need to do that manually. Two separate things. One is to leave the job. The other is to Withdraw from the Union. 

He will probably need to go to the office of the Union and get a Withdrawal card. Up to then, he will need to pay dues. I doubt very much that it is an automatic thing, after leaving a job.  He will need to do that manually. Two separate things. One is to leave the job. The other is to Withdraw from the Union. 

I doubt this. It is probably automatic. I worked for Kroger. I did not join the union, but nearly EVERYTHING there is automatic. Chances are, if he's not getting a paycheck, he doesn't have dues, and no one's going to track him down to collect anything.

If you can't get through to a union rep, call the store he worked at. Tell them who you are and why you're calling and ask to speak to their human resources manager. [That way, the customer service rep that answers knows you have a legitimate reason to need to speak to HR.] Customer Service might already know the answer, or they can get you to HR, which can probably at least answer your question or give you additional contact info. 

If you can't get through to HR, ask to speak with one of the managers. Again, they can probably answer this question.

Speaking as one who worked in customer service and the "front end", TONS of people cycle through Kroger employment. It's how they operate. They do not intend for most of their courtesy clerks to stick around. I'd say that only 1 of every 10 courtesy clerks stay beyond 12 months, and that's being generous. That was at a store with decent management. Some have an even higher turnover. Really, this is nothing new to Kroger. Don't sweat it.

• Like 5

I doubt this. It is probably automatic. I worked for Kroger. I did not join the union, but nearly EVERYTHING there is automatic. Chances are, if he's not getting a paycheck, he doesn't have dues, and no one's going to track him down to collect anything.

<snip>

Possibly that's the way it works, for Supermarket employees.  When I was young, I was in the Teamsters union. I had to go to the Union office, to get a Withdrawal card, that I was in good standing, etc.  Had I ever wanted to do that kind of work again, it would have been easy for me to get back Active, as a Union member. It was totally separate from the job. It was far from automatic.

What you described about the turnover in Kroger is not reflective of good management.

Possibly that's the way it works, for Supermarket employees.  When I was young, I was in the Teamsters union. I had to go to the Union office, to get a Withdrawal card, that I was in good standing, etc.  Had I ever wanted to do that kind of work again, it would have been easy for me to get back Active, as a Union member. It was totally separate from the job. It was far from automatic.

What you described about the turnover in Kroger is not reflective of good management.

I think our Kroger has a high turnover as well. They've had hiring signs up a lot this past year. I also know that they are always hiring even without the signs out front. When dd worked there, she said management was just okay but not consistent. Ds started off with a good manager who made the employees feel good about their work and ds liked the job. Then that manager left and the new one came in with a whip and a chair. He tightened things up and my ds hated it. He held on as long as he could but he finally reached the end of his rope and that's why he quit.

• Like 1

I agree. And if I get started with more, I'll go into a ten page rant. LOL

• Like 1