Menu

Write at Home essay worshops

we're in our 2nd of 2 right now. did essay 1 already, in essay 2. we took them after a 1/2 yr of high school composition 1 last year - and wanted to focus on essays.

i am iffy on them. they are good, they give great feedback, but i find them lacking in any instruction to begin with. for each essay workshop, you work on 2 essays total. first week, theses statements for both. then first draft of one, then first of other. then 2 weeks of revisions for each before submitting final draft at end. the feedback is very thorough, and i don't know if it could get any better. very insightful, questioning. light on the work side - especially during essay revision weeks and light on any instruction to begin with. i had heard also they are based on Lively Art but doesn't seem so now. Anyway, he's not asked to read it at all.

that said, we need a lit analysis course for next semester. and research paper too. not sure if we stick with WAH or not - as i feel he needs more instruction as to the how before he starts writing. he's got the basic essay writing down - but some of the nuances of lit analysis i feel need more instruction. so i was considering either bravewriter (though expensive) and so verbose (cheap and looks promising)

anyway - my 2 cents roadrunner.

• Like 1

we're in our 2nd of 2 right now. did essay 1 already, in essay 2. we took them after a 1/2 yr of high school composition 1 last year - and wanted to focus on essays.

i am iffy on them. they are good, they give great feedback, but i find them lacking in any instruction to begin with. for each essay workshop, you work on 2 essays total. first week, theses statements for both. then first draft of one, then first of other. then 2 weeks of revisions for each before submitting final draft at end. the feedback is very thorough, and i don't know if it could get any better. very insightful, questioning. light on the work side - especially during essay revision weeks and light on any instruction to begin with. i had heard also they are based on Lively Art but doesn't seem so now. Anyway, he's not asked to read it at all.

that said, we need a lit analysis course for next semester. and research paper too. not sure if we stick with WAH or not - as i feel he needs more instruction as to the how before he starts writing. he's got the basic essay writing down - but some of the nuances of lit analysis i feel need more instruction. so i was considering either bravewriter (though expensive) and so verbose (cheap and looks promising)

anyway - my 2 cents roadrunner.

This is extremely helpful!

I heard Bravewriter courses were the opposite - great instruction and not a very useful feedback. Hmmmmm. What to do, what to do...

This kid knows how to write essays, he just needs to do more of it and get better.

May I ask you what sort of essays they worked on? Did they provide a topic? Was it related to literature? Science? Personal?

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

This is extremely helpful!

I heard Bravewriter courses were the opposite - great instruction and not a very useful feedback. Hmmmmm. What to do, what to do...

This kid knows how to write essays, he just needs to do more of it and get better.

May I ask you what sort of essays they worked on? Did they provide a topic? Was it related to literature? Science? Personal?

DD took fan fiction and SAT essay at BW. Feedback especially from fan fiction was detailed. Maybe it's teacher dependent.

• Like 1

Essay 1 Workshop

Compare/Contrast Essay

Analytical Essay

they give you possible topic ideas, but it's up to you.

Essay 2 Workshop

Quotation Response Essay - given 6 quotations to choose from

Literature Analysis Essay - anything goes

• Like 1

My son did Essay 1 last year, and it was very good for him.  He needed accountability and feedback more than he needed instruction.  The reading is from Lively Art of Writing, but it is downloaded from their site.  I thought the feedback from his instructor was excellent.  She was positive but instructive, and gave very specific feedback and suggestions for changes.

• Like 2