Menu

Grimms Fairy Tales--complete unabridged, your favorite???

dovrar

Hello All,

DS wants a complete, original, unabridged, hardback copy of Grimms Tales, folk and fairy in English. Two books would be fine if there isn't a book that contains both the folk and fairy tales. I'd love to hear from the hive. What's your favorite version? I've tried looking on Amazon, and it seems that some of the books that claim to have the complete tales don't or a book that claims to be the original version isn't. I'd love some help. My boy is a Fairy Tale lover!

Thanks so much!

Debbie

This looks attractive

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Grimms-Fairy-Knickerbocker-Classics/dp/1937994317/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511988017&sr=8-2&keywords=grimm+fairy+tales+complete

I have an authoritative edition, edited by Jack Zipes, who is a Grimm scholar. It has 762 pages, 279 tales, plus notes. But it is not a particularly attractive edition. Also, it has some rather gruesome tales, like the one about the butcher's son who butchers his schoolmate, iirc.

The Bothers Grimm published several editions of their tales. Editions have different tales and also new versions of previously published tales. I find it rather confusing, and, imo, not all the tales are worth reading. So, for a child, I would probably get a nice edition, like those pp have suggested, even if it is not absolutely complete.

I like the Annotated Brothers Grimm Bicentennial Edition. It includes alot of original art and great historical information on the side. I enjoyed it alot.

This looks wonderful. Far fewer tales, but 100x more readable than what I have. And the editor, Maria Tatar, is a recognized scholar of folk tales.

This would be my choice.

• Like 1

This looks attractive

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Grimms-Fairy-Knickerbocker-Classics/dp/1937994317/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511988017&sr=8-2&keywords=grimm+fairy+tales+complete

I have an authoritative edition, edited by Jack Zipes, who is a Grimm scholar. It has 762 pages, 279 tales, plus notes. But it is not a particularly attractive edition. Also, it has some rather gruesome tales, like the one about the butcher's son who butchers his schoolmate, iirc.

The Bothers Grimm published several editions of their tales. Editions have different tales and also new versions of previously published tales. I find it rather confusing, and, imo, not all the tales are worth reading. So, for a child, I would probably get a nice edition, like those pp have suggested, even if it is not absolutely complete.

Could you please give me a link or isbn to the zipes authoritative edition? 

Thanks

Could you please give me a link or isbn to the zipes authoritative edition?

Thanks

This is the one I have. If you use amazon's look inside feature, you can see the titles of all the tales.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fairy-Tales-Brothers-All-New/dp/0553382160/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1512272238&sr=8-11&keywords=jack+zipes

And, if you put jack zipes into amazon's search bar, a *lot* of other book will pop up.