Menu

Another smartphone question

Twolittleboys

Sorry about all these gift questions - I am almost done with my Christmas shopping though so this is hopefully the last one.

I got younger ds his iphone now, but still need a moderately priced phone for his 15 year old brother. People recommended the Moto 5 G Plus but son has his heart set on another Samsung. He mentioned the J7 but I really don't know that much about phones so I have two questions:

It only comes with 16 GB and I am quite concerned about that. Mine has 8 GB and that makes it basically worthless as I constantly have to delete stuff. I realize 16 is double the amount and a large portion of my 8 GB are used by operating system etc. Still, I just can't tell whether 16 GB will be a problem down the line. DS mostly uses the phone for playing games I think.

Second question: I see two variations for the phone on Amazon: J7 Duos with Android 7.0 and J7 (2016) with Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). I have no clue whether the difference between these is worth the difference in price (about $50).

So if anyone could weigh in I would really appreciate it!

• Like 1

Probably you know I recommend the Motorola Moto G5 Plus. A lot of bang for the buck...  I am the only one in this house still using a Samsung phone, so like your son, I am accustomed to how Samsungs operate and I even think of that as "normal", but I know Motorola phones are easier to use (clean version of Android) and when my Samsung dies, I will go to a Motorola or Lenovo phone. Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility.

Now, to get to your second question> When we buy cell phones, we buy in a superstore, where the phones are Unlocked and also Unbranded, when they leave the factory.  If you can buy that kind of phone on Amazon, with a manufacturers warranty, that's ideal.

A phone with Android 6.0 is obviously an older phone. The battery in it will be older and will have less life remaining. And it will have a shorter life, with regard to what it can do and how long it is supported with Android updates. To me the difference IS worth the $50.

Android 8.0 is out or will be soon if what I am seeing online is correct.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 3

Probably you know I recommend the Motorola Moto G5 Plus. A lot of bang for the buck...  I am the only one in this house still using a Samsung phone, so like your son, I am accustomed to how Samsungs operate and I even think of that as "normal", but I know Motorola phones are easier to use (clean version of Android) and when my Samsung dies, I will go to a Motorola or Lenovo phone. Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility.

Now, to get to your second question> When we buy cell phones, we buy in a superstore, where the phones are Unlocked and also Unbranded, when they leave the factory.  If you can buy that kind of phone on Amazon, with a manufacturers warranty, that's ideal.

A phone with Android 6.0 is obviously an older phone. The battery in it will be older and will have less life remaining. And it will have a shorter life, with regard to what it can do and how long it is supported with Android updates. To me the difference IS worth the $50.

Android 8.0 is out or will be soon if what I am seeing online is correct.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.  

Thanks, Lanny. I really like what I see about the Moto G 5 Plus and I will try one more time to convince ds of it. Unfortunately, he seems kind of stuck on the Samsung. I am assuming the Amazon phone is unlocked/with warranty but will double check. I would prefer buying at a superstore (that's what I did with previous phones) but they are quite a bit more expensive. However, the difference isn't so high that it would raise red flags (i.e. it isn't just 50% or something). I think the lower price may be due to import from another country maybe? The superstore price is higher than what I am looking for but I will keep checking for deals.

I think the older J7 is from 2016. Not sure if I need a very long life for the phone as ds is pretty unlucky with his stuff (okay, and not real careful) and his last phone barely made it two years.

I went backwards on memory on my last phone, based on a conversation with my 22yo ds. He said he could get along on 16-32 GB now because his music is all streaming these days. That used to be the memory hog.

I had 128GB but Apple gave me the choice of 64 or 256 and I didn’t want to pay that much for memory I wouldn’t use. I have a lot of photos and use more apps but I just checked and I’m at 21GB used. I’d probably be fine with 32. But I’m glad not to have to worry about it on the low end or pay for 9x more than I’ll use.

One child has a Samsung Galaxy J3 and we added an SD card so there is 32 G of memory. Working fine so far at college. I wasn't very concerned about a ton of memory for photos, videos, or music. ;)

Ds loves his iPhone SE. He chose 32GB over 128, because everything he does is cloud based.

I'd feel absolutely fine with 32. It's just the 16 I am worried about as a good chunk is probably used for running the phone so really you only have 10 or so left. I got an extra SD card for my phone and it is great for storing photos etc. BUT it does not work for apps etc. It is a major pain but then again mine only has 8 GB.

• Like 2

I was a Samsung gal all the way until the Motorola phones on Amazon prime.  I will never pay big bucks for a Samsung again.  The Moto Play edition is fantastic, everyone in the house has one except me.  Straight up Android, no bloatware, fantastic phone.

*Taking notes and wishing I didn't want an iPhone!*

• Like 2

I'd feel absolutely fine with 32. It's just the 16 I am worried about as a good chunk is probably used for running the phone so really you only have 10 or so left. I got an extra SD card for my phone and it is great for storing photos etc. BUT it does not work for apps etc. It is a major pain but then again mine only has 8 GB.

The only reason this child has a phone is b/c of an app needed for classes. Really. I had no problem sending this child off w/o a phone at all, but that is fodder for therapy. DH insisted on the phone for this child and on adding memory. 

• Like 1

@Twolittleboys   I would not assume that a phone is Unlocked, or, that it has a manufacturers warranty.  Investigate and verify..

What I recommended to someone here, months ago, was that she purchase an Unlocked and Unbranded Moto G5 Plus, from the Motorola USA web site (motorola.com or something like that).  I doubt there would be much price differential, but one is guaranteed to get an Unlocked and Unbranded phone and Motorola warranty, if purchasing from them.

If there's a huge price differential buying on Amazon or eBay, then I'd do that, after researching everything.  Compare Apples to Apples...

Question: Is there something your DS needs to do that a Samsung can do, and the Moto G5 Plus cannot do, or is he interested in spending a lot more money to buy a Samsung, for the "status" it might have?  

NOTE: We have a neighbor, an Electronic Engineer for a Cell Provider for 20+ years, who mostly buys Motorola phones. He has also had a couple of Samsungs in the past years. His current phone is a Motorola he bought earlier this year or in 2016.  Lots of bang for the buck with Motorola or Lenovo phones.  (I would limit my interest to those 3 brands, because they are less problematic connecting to the towers)

NOTE #2:  I have a lot of respect for my old (2014) low-end Samsung phone. The first user was a boy who was about 6 years old at the time. I assume he used it to play games.  My wife bought it from her Niece.  I have been using it for about 18 months. It works perfectly. When it dies, or when the battery dies and I cannot get a replacement battery, I will only look at Motorola and Lenovo phones in the superstore.

NOTE #3: When looking at the different models your DS possibly might be content with, IMO, a Removable Battery is a big plus.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

My 15yr old has the Moto G5Plus.  It is a really nice phone.  i was just thinking yesterday that I might update to one.  She has not any issues with it and really likes it.  I believe she has 64 GB.  

I would not buy anything less than 32 GB.  Kids use more apps and take more photos than us adults.

I currently have 16 GB and have needed to delete stuff several times just to do a system update.  I have only necessary apps and less than 100 songs on my phone.  It is mostly pictures taking up space.

• Like 1

@Twolittleboys   I would not assume that a phone is Unlocked, or, that it has a manufacturers warranty.  Investigate and verify..

What I recommended to someone here, months ago, was that she purchase an Unlocked and Unbranded Moto G5 Plus, from the Motorola USA web site (motorola.com or something like that).  I doubt there would be much price differential, but one is guaranteed to get an Unlocked and Unbranded phone and Motorola warranty, if purchasing from them.

If there's a huge price differential buying on Amazon or eBay, then I'd do that, after researching everything.  Compare Apples to Apples...

Question: Is there something your DS needs to do that a Samsung can do, and the Moto G5 Plus cannot do, or is he interested in spending a lot more money to buy a Samsung, for the "status" it might have?  

NOTE: We have a neighbor, an Electronic Engineer for a Cell Provider for 20+ years, who mostly buys Motorola phones. He has also had a couple of Samsungs in the past years. His current phone is a Motorola he bought earlier this year or in 2016.  Lots of bang for the buck with Motorola or Lenovo phones.  (I would limit my interest to those 3 brands, because they are less problematic connecting to the towers)

NOTE #2:  I have a lot of respect for my old (2014) low-end Samsung phone. The first user was a boy who was about 6 years old at the time. I assume he used it to play games.  My wife bought it from her Niece.  I have been using it for about 18 months. It works perfectly. When it dies, or when the battery dies and I cannot get a replacement battery, I will only look at Motorola and Lenovo phones in the superstore.

NOTE #3: When looking at the different models your DS possibly might be content with, IMO, a Removable Battery is a big plus.

I am pretty sure the Amazon phone is unlocked etc. but will definitely check before ordering. As far as I can tell, he doesn't need a Samsung but a) he is familiar with it and wants to stick with something he knows and b) I don't think he is familiar with any other brands so is leery to try something else. I am not too worried about towers etc. as he mostly uses it at home with wifi.

My 15yr old has the Moto G5Plus.  It is a really nice phone.  i was just thinking yesterday that I might update to one.  She has not any issues with it and really likes it.  I believe she has 64 GB.  

I would not buy anything less than 32 GB.  Kids use more apps and take more photos than us adults.

I currently have 16 GB and have needed to delete stuff several times just to do a system update.  I have only necessary apps and less than 100 songs on my phone.  It is mostly pictures taking up space.

Yes, I am still hoping to convince him of the Moto G5Plus as that is exactly what I am afraid of. The 16 GB will limit him and become annoying quickly. Unfortunately, this is not my more malleable child...

• Like 1

He will find a Motorola phone is much easier to use. It is almost a "pure" version of Android, with very few changes from the original Android OS.  .  In the book, "Android Phones for Dummies", on just about every page, the author shows how to do something on a "normal" phone and then it says, "but if you have a Samsung, do this".    It's very easy to go from one to another (Samsung to normal Android or v.v.)    and if that is the only reason your DS has for wanting a Samsung, that's a no go.

My wife has a theory that the Micro SD cards you buy to put into a phone should be 50% if the maximum capacity they say will work. I think you could probably put a 32 GB or 64 GB into one of the Motos, but not positive. Maybe 128 GB.  My DD wants one for her Moto phone.

If you will research, you will find out that the cameras in the Moto G5 Plus are top notch technology, if your DS decides to take pictures.

Being able to connect well to the towers, if your DS is out and about, is really important.

OT: My wife has a friend who has a Huawei Android phone. Not sure which model. Before that, she had a Samsung phone. She likes the Huawei far more than the Samsung she had previously used.  DD has a Huawei Tablet and it seems to work fine. 

There is ONE thing I know of that my Samsung phone can do that the Moto phones cannot do:  There is some kind of mirroring, via USB cable, and the USB Port in my low-end Samsung has that technology. One day a year or so ago, my wife wanted to do that with her Moto phone and when I researched what cable we would need to buy, it became obvious that her Moto phone did not have that technology.

Other than that, I know of nothing a Samsung phone can do that a Moto phone cannot do.  

ETA: Of the 5 people in this house, 2 of them are extremely heavy users of their Cell phones. DIL has what was my Moto phone, for 2 or 3 months. Unexpectedly, I gave it to her, after she dropped her phone once too many times.  My Stepson is also a very heavy user.   He has a Lenovo phone my wife bought him for his birthday last year.  When they looked at the Moto phones and the Lenovos, in the superstore where we buy phones (ALKOSTO),  he said that Lenovo phone is *exactly* like my wife's Moto phone. It was a little less expensive, so he got the Lenovo.  No complaints from either of those very heavy users of cell phones (and probably abusive of them too, like your DS).  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 2

I just Googled for "Samsung J7 Duos"  (without the quote marks).  This is the URL of the SERPs:

https://www.google.com.co/search?q=Samsung+J7+Duos&oq=Samsung+J7+Duos&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9327j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

A few seconds, glancing at the results of that search, has me thinking that the Samsung J7 Duos WAS NOT intended to be sold in the USA.  My very low end (2014) Samsung phone is a DUOS.  

IF it was not intended to be sold in the USA, then probably it does NOT have a Samsung warranty valid in the USA.  I would check that out...   Very very carefully...  That does not mean it is a bad phone, or that it would not work in the USA, but it means you are buying something that was not intended by Samsung to be sold in the USA and does not have a Samsung warranty in the USA.  And you are not positive about where it came from and who imported it, etc.

I suspect, that when I walk into the supermarket  tomorrow morning, that I will see advertising for at least one version of the Samsung J7.

• Like 1

Here's a Review of a Samsung Galaxy J7. On a U.S. web site.  That was published during June 2016.  Not a late 2017 model, so the battery installed in it will have somewhat less lifespan than a newer battery.  Notice the "subpar call quality" but the good is that it has a Replaceable battery.  Curiously, they show it as a "Phablet".  My Stepson has a Lenovo "Phablet" his company gave him about 6 months ago.  

https://www.pcmag.com/review/345440/samsung-galaxy-j7

ETA:   This web page is on the web site of Samsung here in Colombia. I selected the "J" model phones. You can see there is one J7 listed.  The "J7 Metal" which was a 2016 phone.  Those are phones that were imported by Samsung Colombia, to be sold in Colombia.

http://www.samsung.com/co/smartphones/galaxy-j/

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

Thanks, Lanny, I appreciate all the trouble you are taking. We are actually not in the US but overseas and I have seen reviews of the DUOs here so I think they are being sold here.

In this case I do think we would be better off with the Moto but this will be a Christmas present so the perceived value of it is probably more important than the actual one - i.e. I would rather ds is happy with a lesser phone than unhappy with a better one. And as he will only get one, there is no way to really see which one is better.

I think I will wait a little while longer to see if any of these models are having a sale and try to convince ds of the Moto's merits. I have warned him about the 16 GB (repeatedly). Maybe we can still go to a larger city and visit a store so he can actually look at the phones. If he had a chance to see/touch the Moto he might even prefer it (or not). I don't really want to buy something he might end up disliking (even if his reasons are silly).

• Like 1

Thanks, Lanny, I appreciate all the trouble you are taking. We are actually not in the US but overseas and I have seen reviews of the DUOs here so I think they are being sold here.

In this case I do think we would be better off with the Moto but this will be a Christmas present so the perceived value of it is probably more important than the actual one - i.e. I would rather ds is happy with a lesser phone than unhappy with a better one. And as he will only get one, there is no way to really see which one is better.

I think I will wait a little while longer to see if any of these models are having a sale and try to convince ds of the Moto's merits. I have warned him about the 16 GB (repeatedly). Maybe we can still go to a larger city and visit a store so he can actually look at the phones. If he had a chance to see/touch the Moto he might even prefer it (or not). I don't really want to buy something he might end up disliking (even if his reasons are silly).

Oh...  Overseas....   Is there a huge difference in the price, if you buy from Amazon in the USA and have it shipped to you there, compared to buying it there, with, hopefully, a warranty that is valid in the country you live in?      I would much rather have a phone with a manufacturers warranty valid where I live, than a phone that has no warranty where I live.  

I think the phones you are looking at on Amazon are "Grey Market" and were imported into the USA, from another country, possibly from Colombia, possibly from one of a number of other countries, where Samsung intended for them to be sold. If that's the case, it is highly unlikely the phone would have a warranty valid in the USA.  But, you are overseas...

Here, the prices include VAT tax and even so, are usually pretty close to what I see in the USA.

I agree with your conclusion that it will be better to buy your DS something that he will be happy with and that he will enjoy, even if it is a lesser product. 

OT: If you are Overseas Americans, today, I received an email from our bank in Colombia, about the "FATCA" and "CRS" U.S. laws we need to comply with. Fortunately, the form was very short and very simple.

Oh...  Overseas....   Is there a huge difference in the price, if you buy from Amazon in the USA and have it shipped to you there, compared to buying it there, with, hopefully, a warranty that is valid in the country you live in?      I would much rather have a phone with a manufacturers warranty valid where I live, than a phone that has no warranty where I live.  

I think the phones you are looking at on Amazon are "Grey Market" and were imported into the USA, from another country, possibly from Colombia, possibly from one of a number of other countries, where Samsung intended for them to be sold. If that's the case, it is highly unlikely the phone would have a warranty valid in the USA.  But, you are overseas...

Here, the prices include VAT tax and even so, are usually pretty close to what I see in the USA.

I agree with your conclusion that it will be better to buy your DS something that he will be happy with and that he will enjoy, even if it is a lesser product. 

OT: If you are Overseas Americans, today, I received an email from our bank in Colombia, about the "FATCA" and "CRS" U.S. laws we need to comply with. Fortunately, the form was very short and very simple.

Thanks for your concern! I am actually not looking on Amazon in the US for the phone as I agree the warranty might be a problem. However, buying it on Amazon in Germany should be fine. I do think the phones might be imported from another EU country but that should not impact the warranty. I guess if I do go ahead and buy there I will open the phone and check the instructions etc. If there is a major issue with the warranty I can always send it back to Amazon. The price compared to electronics store isn't vastly different though (maybe $60) so it is worth it save but not so much that it is implausible (I also see various stores offering prices in between). I think the big stores just haven't picked the J7 for discounts as they are offering substantial discounts on other Samsung phones.

• Like 1

I agree.  I still have my old Samsung Galaxy 3, it has a Lemon Zero removable battery that lasts 3 days and a 128 gb sd card.  I keep it in my purse loaded with movies, audiobooks and teaching company lectures as well as family photos and such for emergencies like hospitalizations and in case I need a back up phone, I can just switch sim cards back to it.  The only thing I always hated about the Samsungs I have had was the bloatware, so I always rooted it.  With dd in IT, she keeps it updated for me with roms and such so it is as current as my newer phone OS wise.  I still wouldn't buy a newer one because the prices are ridiculous.

• Like 1

OP I just returned home from a quick trip to the supermarket. When I walked into the store, there was a sign for the Samsung J7 Metal. In USD it is $200.88.  That is for a Brand New phone, Unlocked, Unbranded, and with a one year Samsung warranty here in Colombia. Also, that price includes the IVA (VAT tax).  

ETA: I just looked on the web site of the superstore where we buy Unlocked/Unbranded Cell phones. They have the Samsung J7 Metal for approximately USD $173 including the VAT tax.

Edited by Lanny

Probably you should let your DS decide whether he wants to go with the Samsung J7 Metal or the Moto G5 Plus, to keep him happy.  I was just looking on the Motorola Colombia web site, at the Moto G5 Plus specs.  You might mention these 2 things to him: It has Corning "Gorilla Glass" and it has a charger than can charge the battery (I'm not sure if that is up to 100% charged or not) in 15 minutes. My DD has one of those Turbo Chargers for her Moto phone, which I think, but am not sure, is a G4.

If you are buying a new phone, IMO it should have a manufacturers warranty in the country you live in.  

None of the Moto or Lenovo phones in our house have ever had an issue. Two of them get heavy (possibly abusive) use.  My old (2014) Samsung has not had an issue. Like someone commented, I did "Root" my Samsung phone, last April, but unlike her, I haven't installed Custom ROMs in it. It is very old and is running Android 4.4, which just about makes it impossible to move Apps to the SD card. 

Edited by Lanny