Menu

Geography

jabuford

What would you use for a 5th and 7th grader who still don't know that Alabama is in the United States? A new teacher? hahahh We have played the online games, but I thought they had the states pretty well down, I guess not. I know about sheppardsoftware.com do you have any other games or books, etc. that you would use for learning states and then world geography? Thanks

In addition to the great ideas of singing the states & capitals, you might also do a visual/story type of memorization; the book "Yo Sacramento" has an amusing illustration and an amusing way of saying/connecting each state and capital, which makes it much easier to remember them all.

one of those wooden states puzzles. if they seem too juvenile, maybe you could challenge them i.e. time them, or buy two and time them against each other. or how about having to identify the pieces blindfolded? or put the puzzle together blindfolded? hahaha but seriously my ds6 has one of those puzzles and playing with it has taught him well. ( have not done any of those games, he just plays with it)

I'd try for puzzles, blank maps to label and good old fashioned memorization. Depending on their learning style they may be memorizing the shape and location but not attaching the name. It might also be useful to explain the level of "government" ie city, state, country and how they expand. In the US we tend to learn countries and our own states without realizing that many countries are divided into local or regional subsections like our states. This may help a child understand that a state is not equal to a country.