Menu

SPinoff of my other question: Has any of your kids with *life threatening* food allergies traveled alone?

Just to camp for a few days.  Not on a plane.  My motto, though, is Don't trust anyone.  We found out where they would stop to eat on the way to camp.  We said she shouldn't even enter ChikFilA (They fry everything in peanut oil) but the pizza place was okay (we have non life threatening milk and egg allergies), any crust pepperoni no cheese.

And I sent food with her.  Frozen food in an insulated bag which went straight into the camp's freezer and fridge.  These days, I would probably send Lunchables instead of frozen food just because they're a little easier and she didn't like much of the frozen food but was stuck with it anyway.

The camp claimed they would have salad available every meal.  Didn't happen.  And from past experiences, kitchen staff can't necessarily be trusted to know ingredients or understand how to read labels properly.

Best of luck.  Hopefully someone will chime in with more input.  I really don't know how to manage a wheat allergy.  

• Like 1

Not life threatening, but my kid who can't have dairy or gluten went on a Boy Scout trip to the National Jamboree this summer. One of the adults going was great and had experience dealing with food allergies. She wouldn't let him share the same jars of condiments due to contamination issues.

The Jamboree provided allergy safe meals that he could eat even though he was not always happy with the choices. The touring part was a little more difficult. Every restaurant they ate at had a gluten free option, bit sometimes there were no choices. We did get the itenerary in advance, and looked up restaurant on the internet so he would know what was safe. We did send him with plenty of money and he understanding he could buy any thing he needed to eat. He also took some food with him, but he was gone 3 weeks, so he couldn't take enough for every day.

Edited by City Mouse

I am actually thinking if he does this, I will pack him MRE's.  There are so many companies that make totally nut-free MRE's and if you choose from the GF options it'll be nut free and peanut free.  I could pack an entire bag of MRE's, granola bars, snacks, and also give him Food Allergy cards so he can discuss with wait staff...

I already put a list of safe airlines and total no-go airlines on the permission slip...  If the teacher doing this trip isn't "up for it" then I'm sure she just wont' choose him for the team, since they can only take 16 of the 40 kids. and he is a first- year member so she could easily not hurt his feelings by saying she prefers to choose juniors and seniors....

So honestly I don't even know if he will end up going but if he does the MRE idea is sounding great.  Then, whenever a meal is not available at least he has something nutritionally sound to eat that will carry him through without feeling like he's starving.  MRE's are intentionally high in protein and calories.  So, it would work. ...

• Like 2

It really depends on the age. I mean, we all become adults eventually and almost all will end up living alone and dealing with them. But even as an adult I’d say it’s been a process of learning and really being careful about exposure. I’m THAT person at the restaurant, you know?

Under fourteen or so and I’d be packing every food item and making lists of restaurants in the area, a card to give to the server, and exactly which menu item to order. Over fourteen and I might let them use their judgment on which menu items are safe after giving the hairy eyeball to the server ;)

Thank you! It's so good to hear from someone who has BTDT ((hugs))

He will be 16.5 but he does not like to communicate.  He does not like to REALLY PUSH to communicate with the chef...and that is what concerns me.  He will just mumble something and kind of hope the server really understands and gets it...

Thank you! It's so good to hear from someone who has BTDT ((hugs))

He will be 16.5 but he does not like to communicate. He does not like to REALLY PUSH to communicate with the chef...and that is what concerns me. He will just mumble something and kind of hope the server really understands and gets it...

The best thing you can do for him is get him over this. He really needs to learn to advocate for himself and ask all the pertinent questions. He also needs to trust his gut when he doesn’t get the right answers.
  • Like 2

My celiac dd15 traveled alone this summer.  She knows how to communicate her needs and how to ask detailed questions in restaurants.  She also packed meal bars that she can eat in her luggage so that she always had that as a fall back if she couldn't find anything else.  And she shopped in local supermarkets to get some easily fixed or no prep meal items to have.  I would not trust any relative to handle her food allergies.  She is well educated on her needs and does as well as I do in taking care of them. 

• Like 1

Off topic, slightly, but I am curious about your airline comment.  

Several years ago, we used what was recommended as the "best" airline for domestic travel for my son's LTFAs.  My son had anaphylaxis just after our arrival on the return flight.  We think it was most likely peanut/tree nut residue, most likely airborne, though we had taken ridiculous precautions.  [sigh]  We did the pre-boarding, the cleaning of the seats and area he'd be sitting (personally), then used a seat cover, he didn't consume food or beverage on the plane, he washed hands like crazy, and the airline asked that no one within 3 rows eat anything containing his allergens.  Still - anaphylaxis.  It was a crummy experience.  

Actually while we were on that vacation, Allergic Living magazine had an article about another little girl having anaphylaxis on that same airline - different flight.  We did *not* tell DS about that, so as not to freak him out.  

So that particular airline is probably not on the safe list, but I'd be happy to hear about what your research has yielded!

I am actually thinking if he does this, I will pack him MRE's.  There are so many companies that make totally nut-free MRE's and if you choose from the GF options it'll be nut free and peanut free.  I could pack an entire bag of MRE's, granola bars, snacks, and also give him Food Allergy cards so he can discuss with wait staff...

I already put a list of safe airlines and total no-go airlines on the permission slip...  If the teacher doing this trip isn't "up for it" then I'm sure she just wont' choose him for the team, since they can only take 16 of the 40 kids. and he is a first- year member so she could easily not hurt his feelings by saying she prefers to choose juniors and seniors....

So honestly I don't even know if he will end up going but if he does the MRE idea is sounding great.  Then, whenever a meal is not available at least he has something nutritionally sound to eat that will carry him through without feeling like he's starving.  MRE's are intentionally high in protein and calories.  So, it would work. ...

could I get the link for the allergy friendly MRE's? PLEASE! 

Planning a possible vacation. Dd and I both have severe food allergies. MRE's would be GREAT. 

• Like 1