Menu

Sonlight-Bookshark and grade level?

Tohru

For those that have used Sonlight, are topics and books fairly appropriate to the grade level?

I'm looking at different Science and Cores and noticed that some of the books used are either above or below grade level recommended in other programs.

Specifically, Science D says it's 3rd grade, but it requires Real Science-4-Kids Biology which the publisher recommends for 4th-6th, I'm wondering if my 4th grader would be okay using the rest of Sonlight Science D even though Sonlight calls it 3rd.

Also, Core A Kindergarten has some intense topic books. Is this what a typical Kindergartener should cover or would it be okay to use it for later, say 2nd?

Thanks.

Sonlight Cores (or HBL packages) operate more around an age range than a specific grade level. I have found the content, in general, to be good for the upper end of the suggested age range. So, yes, you definitely could use Core A for 2nd grade - it's not just for Kindergarten because there are some pretty intense books in there. My 7yo is doing it currently and really enjoying it.

• Like 3

If you look at the HBL packages under "shop by level," you can see the various age ranges listed (Core A is for 5-7 yo's or K-2nd, for example). Like the previous poster, I found that it was a better fit for the child who was closer to the top end of the age ranges, but that it could work to combine two children who were within the age ranges listed. 

Similar ranges apply for the science programs, as you can see on this listing. Science D is for ages 8-11, or grades 3-5 (they actually used to say grades 3-6 for this and the HBL package...interesting.)

For the grade level packages, they pick the youngest age a student could be for that level. If that's not a good fit (and it's not for many kids), you might be better off ordering components separately and choosing what you want.

HTH!

• Like 1

I used Core D (just the main core, not the LA or the Science) with a 3rd grader who was a history buff and an advanced reader. It was perfect for him. I would not, however, expect most 3rd graders to be ready for that core. Some of the reading is definitely above the level of the average 3rd grader, interest wise (and I'm talking about read alouds here). They did edit the US history spine they used, so that might make it a bit easier for 3rd graders now. I used the original version (we liked it).

They used to label the cores with an age range, and most people recommended going with the higher end of the age range on each core. I think that would be a good rule of thumb in general. My current 3rd grader is an advanced reader, but I think his eyes would glaze over at some of the readings in that core. :)

We are longtime Sonlight users (Cores pre-K through H) but haven't used their Science except for one year.   We found that with the Core/HBL material, especially with Cores D and higher, worked well for a child who was at least in the middle of the recommended age range, and was best when they used the Core at the older end of the age range.

I will be a dissenter. My 9 yr old is using Bookshark 6 History (Core G equivalent) and it is totally fine. He is a strong reader & has done plenty of history (listened to SOTW 1-4 in 1st grade, read CHOW in 2nd grade, read tons of Who Was/What Was books - he is a history lover!) but I don't think the interest level or appropriateness is too high for an average 4th grader.

Their grade 5/Core F might have been a different story. But 6 & 7 use SOTW (which is definitely geared for the younger grades), and the readers & read alouds are not that intense or mature. Maybe the extra books that Sonlight includes are a different level?

Edited by ondreeuh