Menu

Do you have an egg cooker that soft, medium, or hard boils 6-7 eggs at a time?

umsami

Are they worth it?

Soft boiled eggs are one of my all time favorite breakfasts.  Probably,  because it was one of the few things my Mom could cook well...and if we were sick, she'd make us egg stew (torn up toast with soft boiled egg, kind of like an egg and toast soldiers thing).  My kids all love soft and hard boiled eggs, so I was looking for a better way to cook a bunch well.  Of course, hard boiled aren't a problem, but when cooking that many eggs soft-boiled, the timing seems to be a bit wonky.

So, do you have one?

Is it one of the cheap $20 ones or do you have a fancy $40 one???

Any tips???

Thinking of something like this if you don't know what I'm talking about.  It's a little dome shaped appliance, and you prick the shell of the eggs, and put in a certain amount of water depending on how done you want the eggs.  

I have both a cheap one and a fancy one.   That is how much I love boiled eggs.    

They both cook equally well.  The expensive one was a present when I requested one that automatically turns itself off.   I don't think the expensive one actually does that, really.   You put a particular amount of water in the bottom and technically the eggs don't cook anymore when the water is gone, and therefore no steam.  But, what I'd really want was the hot plate to turn off.  That is because I tend to wander off, and things that cook and don't have anything to cook tend to get icky,.  

The expensive one can also poach, etc.   I think I've poached once.  The expensive one can also cook more, but I never have.  

Are they worth it?    Absolutely!   They are perfect every time.  Also, with steaming, the shells don't stick.   We have chickens so our eggs are VERY fresh.   If the egg is at least a few days old, just steaming will make them peel nicely.   Fresher than that, and I also need to use the ice bath method.   Steam + ice bath I can peel boiled eggs that were still warm from the chicken.

I once read a Julia Child cookbook on just eggs.    Did I mention I love eggs?   Anyway, she compared the different methods to boil an egg.    Rolling boil was the absolute worst.   She said it made the eggs too tough.  Pressure cooker was the best, and steaming was just a smidgen behind that.  

My 7-year-old can soft-boil her own eggs in the steamer.  

• Like 2

I do t have one now, but my mom had one when I was a kid. Ours had an insert to make poached eggs along with the tray for eggs in the shell. I loved it as a kid because I could cook my own eggs at 5-6 years ole. It was also very easy to clean after.

If I had more counter space I would get one now.

• Like 1

I have this one. The original Dash Deluxe. I got mine cheap at TJ Maxx.

https://www.amazon.com/Dash-DEC012BK-Deluxe-Egg-Cooker/dp/B0168CUIWI/ref=sr_1_2?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1509381828&sr=1-2&keywords=dash%2Begg%2Bcooker&th=1

I don't have a kitchen right now, sooo... I have pushed that baby to its limits. LOL. I have cooked everything from cheeseburgers to cupcakes and banana bread in it. Baked goods with a lot of vegetable oil like brownies don't steam well at all! Pancakes and cornbread come out AWESOME. I made cornbread for a black friend, and she was beside herself laughing. She said she couldn't believe a white girl made the best cornbread she ever had in THAT.

Last winter I was like a kid with an Easy-Bake oven making treats for my friends. We had a blast, laughing like kids. Fond memories I will treasure forever.

Egg Cookers  :001_wub:

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 3

How do you make cornbread on the egg cooker?   do you cook it directly on the hotplate?   Or steam it using the poaching thingys?  

Steam it in the poaching thing. I also acquired a few other dishes that I have used in it. Anything metal, glass, or meant for microwave COOKING (not reheating) is fine in it.

For the appliance I have, a pair of mini tongs is nice to lift the bottom clear-plastic part, as it does not have any handles. Also a long spout measuring cup to pour more water into the base if you are cooking anything that takes longer than a hardboiled egg. Just take off the top layer, use the tongs to lift the clear-plastic, and pour some water into the handle area of the bottom egg holder plate.

Egg cookers are automatic shut off as soon as the water is gone, and work similar to an auto shut-off coffee pot or kettle. They are super safe and allowed in buildings that forbid dry heat. Rice cookers are sometimes auto shut off too.

I cook with it on a cookie sheet with lips. Not only does it protect underneath from heat, but it also protects underneath from water.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

While I am giving reviews 

If a college student does not want the weight of mini fridge, a thermo-electric cooler is another option. I have had great luck with the igloo cooler and a Coleman adapter. I had a different cheaper adapter first and it burnt out, but the Coleman runs cooler and is still going strong months later. Empty, this thing was light enough to carry home from the post office myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Iceless-Thermoelectric-Cooler-28-Quart/dp/B007ZYH4BM/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1509390552&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=thermoelectric%2Bcooler%2Bigloo&th=1&psc=1

I have the one you linked from amazon. My brother bought it for me for Christmas last year and I really love it. I only make hardboiled eggs with it because thats what my boys eat. It lets me feed them a wholesome breakfast without a lot of cleanup. I cook 7 eggs at a time in it, but I remember it not fitting jumbo eggs very well. I think Large and under are the sizes that will fit or the dome can't close. I don't like all the extra plastic pieces, I don't cook in plastic, ew. And after every other use I clean it out with vinegar. Other than that it is so worth the money. 

• Like 2