Menu

BJU DVD (homesat) users? (Abeka)

MommyInTraining

I am still considering switching to DVD, but when I think about it just makes me feel really uncomfortable! Did you feel that way when you first made the decision? Did you fear you would be doing "school" at home? Also, how do you find the time to help our children complete their assignments and check their work? In some ways it seems an easier option, but in other it seems like it will be time consuming.

Also, did you order the complete package from BJU? Is there a way to not spend $1000 a year? Is there someway to just order the DVD's from BJU and get the books cheaper somewhere else?

And, could you share why you decided to go with BJU and not Abeka?

Oh, one more thing, I am afraid that some of the teaching utilizes puppets in the form of talking animals? Have you found any of that? We teach our children that animals do not talk, so that is a concern.

I have the HomeSat satellite service. I only use BJU for Math and English...and usually Science, but this year we are trying SL's Science 5. I personally like having a "real" teacher teaching my child these subjects as they do a much better job than I. It DOES free up time for me, but like the previous poster mentioned, you still have to make sure they are doing their work. You have to watch that they are not skipping through the DVD, or drawing and not paying attention to the teacher, etc. I do not have to actually teach these subjects though which was my main goal. This came in real handy for my older boys in the maths and sciences for high school. My job was to hand out and grade tests and quizzes. I could handle that! But, I could NOT handle teaching Physics!

As for the puppets. YES, BJU uses a lot of puppetry in the elementary grades. They are just for fun though and are great for keeping the students attention. Don't most children know that animals don't talk and that puppets are just, well, puppets? :confused: I'm sorry, I guess I don't really understand your concern there. My concern when I started BJU was that my son would find the puppetry childish, and he did at first. But now he finds them fun. They break up the monotony. We began BJU when he was starting 4th. He would have LOVED BJU's puppetry in the younger grades. How fun to have puppets helping teach you English grammar when you're in 1st grade! :D

BJU also uses skits, takes the children on little field trips, etc. It's interesting stuff. Well, except math. No real "fun" there, though perhaps there is in the younger grades? ;)

Did you know people actually go to school to become puppeteers? :w00t: I honestly did not know this until a friends nephew did so.

Anyhow, I really enjoy BJU's courses. They are VERY well done and you can do as much or as little as you want. For example, in Reading 4 which was fantastic, Miss Liston did a lot of crafts. We did not do many of the crafts because our day would have never ended. BJU gives you a lot to do, but if you do it all [meaning all the extras like crafty things] you can get very overwhelmed and your days can get VERY long and teacher intensive! [side note: my son was not required to do the Reading 4 class, he CHOSE to do it because he saw it on the satellite and loved what he saw. We were actually using SL at the time and he had plenty to read. He added the Reading 4 class to his SL reading schedule though because he really, really enjoyed it.

I personally would not opt to use the DVD option as it stands now. I would not want to use ALL BJU for each and every subject. My son can only handle three video classes, more than that and our day gets far too long and the complaints begin. I do believe BJU is currently looking into other options now that they have to close down their satellite in May. Unless you need to make a decision now, I would hold out and see what they come up with for next year.

As for A Beka. My kids despised A Beka video school, but it is an option and they do not use any form of puppetry or other nonsense that might equate interesting and FUN. Just a teacher droning on and on and on...:lol::D

We use BJU DVD with 2 of our 3 children. I decided on BJU after viewing the sample lessons on both BJU's and Abeka's websites.

The DVD option has been a life saver for us. Before DVD classes I was never able to cover all subjects with all of my children. We had some big gaps in the language arts area. There just wasn't enough of me to go around. I also had a problem reviewing their work in a timely manner. Now we are able to get all their subject done every day and my kids get same day feedback.

The DVD option has been a big time saver for me and worth every penney.

I can't add much more than - my kids LOVE their classes.

I like that the BJU teacher is teaching to the student instead of just watching the Abeka classroom. My K4 DD thought it funny that her sister had the same teacher too - although at first she was like, "but she is MY teacher" LOL!!

We are still working on getting into a groove mainly because of the sat going away. I went from recording a few classes this year - to almost ALL, and well, i'm on overload. But we made a change this week that is working better - moved all 3 kids into the same room to watch/work, and i think we will get back on track. Just in time for hte holidays to muck it up. HMPH.

YOu can get just the DVDs if you call - but there isn't a huge cost savings. It's like $800 vs the $999. You have to call and ask about it though.

Now we are able to get all their subject done every day and my kids get same day feedback.

The DVD option has been a big time saver for me and worth every penney.

:iagree:

In our home, the subjects that always get completed, each and every day, are the BJU classes. I'll forget to do spelling, or discuss history, etc. with my son, but BJU classes are never forgotten because they are there, always ready to go; scheduled without any real prep work for me to mess up, or get behind in. My son will just plop his DVD in and do his work...I am really not needed most of the time. ;)

As for A Beka. My kids despised A Beka video school, but it is an option and they do not use any form of puppetry or other nonsense that might equate interesting and FUN. Just a teacher droning on and on and on...:lol::D

My sister's 9th gr dtr is doing better then ever with the Abeka DVDs, her grades are up, the instruction is sticking, etc. My sister says the teaching is so much better than she was doing. The stress from their home is mostly gone and her dtr is really taking responsibility for her own work and classload.

Now, a few caveats. My sister has one child and my sister watches most every class right alongside her dtr. Her dtr likes hearing the questions from other kids in the class and my sister thinks it helps her sister to see 1) that other kids don't understand sometimes too; 2) that her dtr often hears a student give a question exactly like hte one she was thinking and 3) that lots of kids are more confused (kind of "ask dumber questions") then she is - it is a confidence booster for her dtr.

OTOH, I went with BJU DVDs for 3 high school classes and it has cut my high high school teaching/supervising work by about 60% or more. (I still have 3 other littles to keep me busy tho.) All the concerns from other posters are true here (are they watching, are they doing the homework, do the daydream? etc. - when you are teaching your children - you see them looking out the window - you don't if you are not watching them watch the video. I chose BJU because I thought it had a reputation for being more academically rigorous - and frankly, I needed the break.

But, I don't really like the BJU DVDs nor textbooks that much. THe thing that annoys me the most is what appears to be a discrepancy in quality of instruction/teacher. I think one of their teachers is top-notch and one is substandard.

For me, BJU has been a realistic choice for my time, life, energy and schedule. Nonetheless, it is a "compromise" with which I have found much to dislike, from organizational issues, to some teaching philosophy/approach disagreements to instruction quality in some classes.

Lisaj

I think one of their teachers is top-notch and one is substandard.

OK, now you've really got me intrigued!:D I would very much love to know which high school teacher you find substandard. There was one elementary teacher we could have lived without, but the high school teachers have been top-notch so far. Is there one I should steer clear of? PM me if you don't want to answer "online." ;) But, I would love to know your thoughts.

I just started the Abeka DVD's. I was very overwhelmed with teaching school with 2 very young kiddos needing my attention too. Dont even ask about the house work LOL. Anyways we are now on lesson 10 and things couldnt be better. The teacher is amazing, the students have even helped my son want to learn his math facts better so he can keep up with the class. (Competitiveness can be a good thing!) I too find the students often ask the same questions my son has, so that aspect has been helpful too. My son is happier, his work has improved, as well as his moods. I'm less stressed, the house is cleaner, our Winter Promise is getting done regularly now, and the little kids get more attention... all in all the Abeka DVD's have been a huge hit in my home.

OK, let me plow through your questions one at at time:

Did I ever feel uncomfortable with the idea of using DVD classes? No. I knew of BJU HomeSat years before my child was old enough to use them. Somehow I saw a sample of them, and I was enchanted from the get-go. HomeSat was my first choice (not something I fell back to because I couldn't manage on my own), and I've been very happy with it from 1st through 5th grade.

Did I fear I would be doing school at home? Not an issue for me. Dad REALLY wants school at home. He thinks our homeschool is woefully informal and much too casual. It's just right for me and ds.

How do you find time to help and check? Well, it will take you some time to find your stride. It took us probably a year and a half before we came to terms with how to fit the program in to our homeschool. And my way won't be like your way because I have just one child.

But I split the work into "together work" and "independent work." I go through our lesson plans each Sunday afternoon and work out what is together work and what is independent work. The stuff I know he'll need help with, we do together. So I'm right there to help, or to make sure he's listening, or whatever. The stuff I want him to do alone (and I know he CAN do alone), well, he is to do that independently. I grade all worksheets each night and have him correct mistakes in the morning. If you let it pile up, the child will perpetuate his mistakes.

Easier option or more time consuming? It's easier in some ways. There's no way a mom at home can come up all those complex lessons every day. So, it's much easier to watch how they've done it! But I spend a lot of time preparing for our school week. BJUP is a complicated curriculum. There is MUCH for mom to do. The more I prepare, the smoother our school days go.

Order the complete program or is there a cheaper way to do it? Nobody knows. BJUP is changing their format as we speak. The only options I know of for next year are the DVDs and the hard drive. Both of these require you to buy every class in the grade including all the books and the TMs, in a single package. But we're all hoping for an a la carte offering and an alternative delivery method (like internet streaming). I think you'll see changes here in the future.

Why BJUP and not Abeka? I never considered Abeka. When my son was a little critter, I watched the sample DVDs from both. I could totally see my son enjoying the BJUP program. I couldn't imagine asking him to sit through the Abeka program. (I know many people like it; I'm not saying it's no good. But they're very different. Look at the samples, and you'll probably get a strong sense one way or the other.)

The puppets? Well, my son spent three years in a Montessori preschool, so I totally get the philosophy that we don't have talking animals. So, if that means a lot to you, well, OK.

But, I gotta tell you honestly, we have LOVED the HomeSat puppets. Some of them become beloved friends almost like Clifford the Big Red Dog or Larry the Cucumber. Their personalities are some of my son's sweetest memories of his early school years. In 5th Grade Reading, there was an entire unit on how the puppets are made and how one can have a puppeteering ministry. It was fascinating to my son.

BJUP goes to a lot of trouble to make the school experience special and memorable to the children, and the puppets are just one of the special touches.

Edited by Cindyg

So, does anyone know at what grade BJUP stops using the puppets? Are they still using them in 4th grade?

Are the puppets just people puppets or are they animal puppets that talk?

The thing that sort of turns me off of Abeka is the fact that it shows a traditional classroom. For those of you who use Abeka, has this been an issue for you? Has it made your children feel like they are missing out on something because they are at home and not in "school" with other children? I don't really like to promote the idea of being in a classroom in a traditional school and I feel like that may be what the Abeka videos do as opposed to the BJUP that doesn't use a classroom setting...does that make sense?

Would like to hear some feedback on this from those who use and like Abeka on how you and your children react to the classroom setting.

Thanks so much!

I am still considering switching to DVD, but when I think about it just makes me feel really uncomfortable! Did you feel that way when you first made the decision? Did you fear you would be doing "school" at home? Also, how do you find the time to help our children complete their assignments and check their work? In some ways it seems an easier option, but in other it seems like it will be time consuming.

Also, did you order the complete package from BJU? Is there a way to not spend $1000 a year? Is there someway to just order the DVD's from BJU and get the books cheaper somewhere else?

And, could you share why you decided to go with BJU and not Abeka?

Oh, one more thing, I am afraid that some of the teaching utilizes puppets in the form of talking animals? Have you found any of that? We teach our children that animals do not talk, so that is a concern.

At the time I started doing homesat I didn't fear we would be doing school at home...we wanted to do school at home! :D

Schooling is just something that you have too make time for. It has to become a priority...you have to make it a priority...it's not going to happen by it's self. I have come to think of it as my job...I even had to tell my neighbor lady who came over ALL THE TIME that if I was at work she wouldn't just call me up or come over to chat about her new perm 6 or 7 times a week. I think of my school that way...no interuptions please! She cut her visits to the afternoon and only 3 or 4 times a month now.

Since we started using it for Kinder I sat with dd while she watched and did her work, so there wasn't much grading to do. Anything she did wrong while she was working was corrected immediately. Sitting with dd continued for the most part through 3rd or 4th grade depending on the subject and even after that I was always being called to come help. At 5th grade dd rarely calls for any help. I usually try to check the work as soon as she gives me her paper or as soon as I reach a break with younger dd. I have all my TM in a stack on the table beside me so I can just grab it and grade while working with my 2nd grader.

It is cheaper to order the whole set, because you get the books, if you are going to use more than 2 classes. If you order a separate class you still have to buy the books extra and at $399 plus books it comes to about the same as the whole set if you order two separate classes. Right now you can't order separate classes for the grade levels I think you would want anyway.

As far as puppets go, yes there are puppets, but we teach our children that animals don't talk... BUT puppets do talk...I do the talking for them...puppets are not animals. My children have never been confused by the puppets that BJU uses.

My brothers family used Abeka Videos and their kiddos scored well on the Stanford when they were in High school they actually scored post high school in the 9th grade. I choose BJU over Abeka because I did not like the fact that all they did was film a classroom in progress. BJU is filmed with the teacher speaking to the viewing child not a classroom. There are skits by college students, field trips, special people brought in to the class to help present the material in interesting ways. The Grammar Guys come to mind from 3rd grade English, DD loved them. Every time they came on she would call all of us to come and watch and would sometime rewind and watch them numerous time. They were the highlight of 3rd grade English. This year in 5th grade it's the Professor from 5th grade Science. Fun, attention getting stuff not the back of a classroom that's the reason I choose BJU over Abeka. I think they both offer quality material just presented in a different manner.

I should say that we started off using all classes in the early years and burned out. We only use BJU for 2 -3 classes a year so we are not in front of the tv all day long. It gives me a break from teaching every class and the kids a break from my teaching!!!!!:lol:

As I mentioned in my previous post, we have used both A Beka and BJU. I prefer BJU. My kids prefer BJU. BUT, A Beka WILL do the job. Your kids WILL learn!

My youngest used A Beka video school for K and absolutely LOVED his teacher Mrs. Bear. She was a fantastic teacher for him, and he thoroughly enjoyed her class and learned a TON. Seriously. It was in 1st grade that he really began to dislike A Beka. The teacher was dry, dry, dry, and the way the class was structured made him long to be in the class and not just watching it. He began to dislike school very much.

At the same time I had boys in A Beka's 6th grade and 8th grade video classes. In those higher grades there is more than one teacher. They had one Math, another for Science, etc. Some of them were interesting and great teachers. Some were very dull and put you to sleep. The math classes for my older boys were basically useless. They had to watch this very long video of kids doing math problems on the board, with very little teacher instruction. It was seriously like being IN school and it drug on and on. They finally stopped watching the math classes and just did the work from their books. We used A Beka for two years. The first year seemed to go OK, but about mid-year the second year (1st grade, 7th grade, 9th grade) I realized we were going to need something different. It wasn't working for us.

I truly do feel that A Beka is a quality curriculum, and the A Beka video school is a good choice for many. As someone mentioned, A Beka's classes can make your child feel like competing with the other kids in the class. Mine felt that way at first, but that didn't last very long because, truth be told, they (your kids) are NOT part of the class. Mine got discouraged and bored. It DOES make them feel like they are in a real school...but invisible, without a voice. If that makes any sense. I know many people use it and love it though...you may be one of them. Only you can decide that. ;)

I would say that if you are that against the puppets BJU uses, then you will not like BJU. Go with A Beka. In my opinion, the puppets are harmless and add fun. We need to teach our kids from a young age what is true and not true. Puppets are run by people and their voices come from people. I would think any child could understand that...but I can understand your concerns if this is a problem for you. You will NOT like BJU if you do not like puppetry. I repeat, you will NOT like BJU if you do not like puppetry. Sometimes the puppets are people, sometimes animals...and they all talk to the teacher, or one another. In 4th grade English you even have a talking puppet car! :lol:

I think, someone correct me if I am wrong, that they stop using puppetry in jr. high.

So, does anyone know at what grade BJUP stops using the puppets? Are they still using them in 4th grade? Are the puppets just people puppets or are they animal puppets that talk?

Definitely still puppets in the 5th grade. We have a very elaborate dog puppet in Reading. They even spent a good 15 minutes of one class explaining how the dog puppet was made. Then there are some spy characters, like cartoon spies, and they are puppets. There's a talking frog in science. There's a puppet person in English. There are two crustaceans who appear only occasionally in Spelling. The puppets talk to each other, they talk to the teacher, and they talk to the camera (the kids). I'm always curious how the teacher gets so in character talking to the puppet.

There are also costumed people (not puppets and not animals). In 4th Grade Reading, the theme is a western town, complete with very funny and cute western people who play recurring roles all year. This is an EXCELLENT class with much to capture the students' attention.

Also in 4th grade spelling, there is a costumed person (not a puppet) named Miss Spelling who works for "the king" in "the castle." This skit is hysterical. I mean, truly funny. It goes on all year.

There's lots of stuff like that.

The thing that sort of turns me off of Abeka is the fact that it shows a traditional classroom. For those of you who use Abeka, has this been an issue for you? Has it made your children feel like they are missing out on something because they are at home and not in "school" with other children? does that make sense?

This absolutely makes sense to me. When I saw the sample video (of kindergarten, many years ago now), I defintely though my child would feel left out at having to watch someone else's class.

From your questions, it really sounds like you haven't seen demos of either Abeka or BJUP. Have you not? This is a mistake. A lot of your questions are going to be answered by looking at the videos. You'll either be comfortable with these things (the puppets in BJUP, the classroom in Abeka) or you won't. But you need to see it for yourself.

Edited by Cindyg

OK, now you've really got me intrigued!:D I would very much love to know which high school teacher you find substandard. There was one elementary teacher we could have lived without, but the high school teachers have been top-notch so far. Is there one I should steer clear of? PM me if you don't want to answer "online." ;) But, I would love to know your thoughts.

:iagree: Like others BJU HomeSat is also a compromise for us, but we love the high school teachers and many of the elementary (we haven't had them all. I would love to be teaching it all, but there is not enough time and not enough of me to go around. Three years ago I was overwhelmed with 4 students (trying to somewhat follow TWTM) and getting ready to bring a baby home from China. Homesat seemed to fit our needs perfectly, but it was a bit overwelming in another way:all the paper grading and trying to make sure all the kids were doing all the assigned work. We probably don't do it as well as it could be done but it keeps us moving and they are learning.

Well, it sounds like BJUP is out for us. Did homesat ALWAYS use talking animal puppets? Is there anyway to lease or rent older versions if they were different?

As far as Abeka goes, I wrote and asked them and the person who wrote me back said she couldn't be sure that a teacher wouldn't use a puppet. For those of you familiar with it, can you tell me if there is a frequent use of talking animal puppets? Also, for assignments that use talking animals, i.e. Winnie the Pooh, Aesop's, can these easily be omitted or substituted?

Thanks for helping me through this process....

Well, it sounds like BJUP is out for us. Did homesat ALWAYS use talking animal puppets? Is there anyway to lease or rent older versions if they were different?

I think the answer to the first question is yes. The characters are actually in their teacher's manuals and even in the workbooks. The puppets bring them to life. But the characters actually pre-date HomeSat.

The second question -- No. I don't think you'll be able to find older versions of a class. They are constantly re-doing classes (a couple a year, every year); and the old ones are no longer available.

Hope you like Abeka. :)

O.K. I have to ask what the issue here is with talking puppets? I am known amoung my df and dh to be the "quirky" one of the bunch but I don't get this one. Could someone enlighten me?

I only know of the talking Donkey in the Bible that was a true story. We have pets and my dc know they don't talk.

I apologize if this comes across tactless as that is not how I mean it. I honestly don't get it.

Thank,

Barb

O.K. I have to ask what the issue here is with talking puppets?

I apologize if this comes across tactless as that is not how I mean it. I honestly don't get it.

Hi Barb,

No apology needed :001_smile:. We decided to not present talking animals, vegetables, etc. as a form of entertainment to our children a few years ago after first being introduced to the concept through the Keepers of the Faith catalog. We felt like it wasn't presenting truth to them. Now, the issue has come up from time to time as it has in the last few days with the issue of the BJUP dvds. I truly like the BJUP dvds so much better than Abeka. I really want to be able to use them. However, even if the children know that it is really a person talking and not the animal, we feel that it is still presenting a falsehood because an animal cannot really talk. Also, we believe it is opening a path of fantasy and escapism that is not healthy for them to be nurturing. So many people today are out of touch with reality and what the Truth really is. We want them to be seekers of Truth, not living in a world of fantasy. I would love to see the BJUP dvds only using human puppets or animal puppets that didn't act like humans :).

Does that help clear up why we don't want to use talking animals?

We decided to not present talking animals, vegetables, etc. as a form of entertainment to our children a few years ago after first being introduced to the concept through the Keepers of the Faith catalog. We felt like it wasn't presenting truth to them.[/Quote]

The only thing you can count on to present absolute Truth is the Bible. You cannot even count on the Keepers of the Faith magazine. It is written by fallible men, not perfect, not Truth. I used to read it until I became aware that the authors were trying to play Holy Spirit and burdening me with their convictions. :tongue_smilie: The only One I want burdening me with convictions is the Holy Spirit....because then I know the convictions ARE based on Truth; they invariably come from the Word. Every. Single. Time. Besides, this 'no talking animals' thing is not true....THE Truth says there was a talking animal! :D

Also, God gave us imaginations...without them we would not have the many inventions we now enjoy, nor the countless books, medicines, etc. Even books that are not fantasy or escapism are based on someones imagination. Does this mean that your children will never get to read anything but the bible, or biographies? I mean, you really can't even trust a history book because they all have their fallacies. I am not meaning to sound harpy...just genuinely curious. If you don't want your children to read fantasy stories, don't let them. But to not allow puppets because animals don't talk? That is not teaching them Truth. The truth would be to teach them what exactly puppets are and why teacher's enjoy using them to teach with.

So many people today are out of touch with reality and what the Truth really is. We want them to be seekers of Truth, not living in a world of fantasy.

I agree. But this really has nothing to do with the kind of puppetry BJU uses. I think the main reason people don't know what Truth is is because most mainstream churches no longer teach it. It's all gobbledygook and "it's all about me" philosophical dung. Also, most children thrive off of Television and video games! Take those away and you've won half the battle in raising your children. Puppets are HARMLESS compared to what is spewing through the TV each and every day. We have not had TV in 8+ years and have not missed it once.

I honestly think it is a giant leap to say that if a child's SCHOOL teacher occasionally uses a puppet in class, that said child will not know the Truth or get sucked into fantasy/escapism. They are really quite different in nature. That's like saying that if you allow a child grape juice he may develop a taste for wine and become an alcoholic. :001_huh:

I truly, honestly, from personal experience, feel that you will one day look back on this and say, "Boy, did we make a big deal outta nothin." But, it is your big deal to make and I can respect that. ;)

I appreciate your post Melissa as I was discipled by a titus woman who taught me her convictions; birth control or lack thereof (2 of my 4 are 15 mos apart b/c of this), women should only wear dresses (tried this but it got old quick). These are only 2 that come to my immediate mind. Obviously, my dh went along with the no birth control of any kind b/c I came home telling him the "truth" that I had learned. You know playing the spiritual leader and all of the family:o(

I realize now (10 years later) that much of what she taught me was her convictions and not truth. I have 2 very wise ladies in my life now and I don't know a single conviction either of them have!!!!!!! The disciple me with Truth in love.

Also, on the note of "big deal stuff"..As I said I am known as the quirky one of my circle. I am learning to tell my kids EVERYTHING instead of doing the shelter method. I tell them the truth about child molesters, adultery, prostition, sex before marriage, drinking drugs etc. I use to go out of my way to ignore it and/or skip over it via family members or something on the news. Now, I use it as a teachable moment. I want my kids to know the world but not be of it, kwim? I want them to know what was wrong and the right then to have done etc.

On the flip side, we do T.V. and video games. This is my dh decision not mine. I have fought him tooth and nail on this issue until I realized that is was sin on part. It separates us thus setting a terrible picture of marriage to my kids. I struggle daily with the issue but am trying to submit CHEERFULLY to my dh wishes. I can't convict him of T.V. and video games, only the Lord can. It wasn't until I "embraced the box as my df says" that I discovered Homesat. I feel certain the Lord blessed us with "T.V. School as my kids call it" b/c I gave up trying to control this issue that is clearly my dh to control. So, for you folks without electronics, my hands are raised in praises!!! I obviously need to pray about this issue and perhaps the Lord will turn his heart. Until then, may the Lord help me to be a cheerful helpmeet.

Alright, enough soap boxing for 1 evening!

Have a great week!

Barb

I appreciate your post Melissa as I was discipled by a titus woman who taught me her convictions; birth control or lack thereof (2 of my 4 are 15 mos apart b/c of this), women should only wear dresses (tried this but it got old quick). These are only 2 that come to my immediate mind. Obviously, my dh went along with the no birth control of any kind b/c I came home telling him the "truth" that I had learned. You know playing the spiritual leader and all of the family:o(

I realize now (10 years later) that much of what she taught me was her convictions and not truth. I have 2 very wise ladies in my life now and I don't know a single conviction either of them have!!!!!!! The disciple me with Truth in love.

Also, on the note of "big deal stuff"..As I said I am known as the quirky one of my circle. I am learning to tell my kids EVERYTHING instead of doing the shelter method. I tell them the truth about child molesters, adultery, prostition, sex before marriage, drinking drugs etc. I use to go out of my way to ignore it and/or skip over it via family members or something on the news. Now, I use it as a teachable moment. I want my kids to know the world but not be of it, kwim? I want them to know what was wrong and the right then to have done etc.

On the flip side, we do T.V. and video games. This is my dh decision not mine. I have fought him tooth and nail on this issue until I realized that is was sin on part. It separates us thus setting a terrible picture of marriage to my kids. I struggle daily with the issue but am trying to submit CHEERFULLY to my dh wishes. I can't convict him of T.V. and video games, only the Lord can. It wasn't until I "embraced the box as my df says" that I discovered Homesat. I feel certain the Lord blessed us with "T.V. School as my kids call it" b/c I gave up trying to control this issue that is clearly my dh to control. So, for you folks without electronics, my hands are raised in praises!!! I obviously need to pray about this issue and perhaps the Lord will turn his heart. Until then, may the Lord help me to be a cheerful helpmeet.

Alright, enough soap boxing for 1 evening!

Have a great week!

Barb

Barb we have waaaay too much in common! LOL I could have written everything in your post...minus the TV part. :D As for video games...[sigh]we do have those. If it were up to me we wouldn't...but it's not...so we do. :glare:

Thankfully, it was my husband who came home one day from work and said he wanted to disconnect the TV from Television. Use it only for videos of our choosing. I was ECSTATIC about his decision because it was one that had been on my heart for quite some time. I had even mentioned it to him months prior but he poo-poo'd it. So, I did what all good wives do...I tattled on him to God! :w00t:

My heavenly Father took care of it for me. He's very good to me. ;):D

I say, tattle away sister! :lol: