Menu

Berkey people (Water purifier)

Liz CA

We've had our Big Berkey for going on 2 years now.

I noticed filtering was so slow that it had not filtered all the water overnight. 2 weeks ago, I cleaned the filtering elements with a scrubby pad as they advise on their website. For a short period of time, the filtering was faster again but now it is super slow again.

What else could be going on? Is it time to replace both elements?

Edited by Liz CA

Replace it! Your water will be cleaner and better tasting, too. I replaced mine after a year with good results and I am the only one on the house using it, although I use it to cook rice and noodles, too. Wash the whole thing in the dishwasher while you’re at it, too.

I have both filters and could have theoretically just replaced the fluoride ones but replaced them both, it filters faster and tastes better.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

We have a 3 gallon Big Berky.  Our city water is absolutely terrible and we have to replace our filters every 6 months.  I love the Berky. It's very easy to use.  I do not have the little spout on front that lets you see the level of the water.  That is the only thing I would add to ours.

We got it because of such hard water and because our city is not serviced by the county, by choice of the city council.  The water is also so full of chlorine that periodically (such as after heavy rains and the water is full of dirt they put in way too much chlorine) we smell worse than a swimming pool after showering.  I would love a whole house filter, but at least we are not drinking it.