Menu

mom moment...sometimes they come back and suggest you did something right

bettyandbob

My oldest and I have had our moments. He's 2E and had some seriously difficult years. We still make difficult adjustments for holidays. He's moved several states away to attend a history master's program. In the program he is required to take a course in public history, which is not really the topic he wanted to study, but he's finding the requirement interesting. He's found that as they discuss different types of museums he's been to every type and has a lot to contribute to every discussion. Categories might be living history, but also focus, funding, etc. 

I do not know anything about how museums are categorized. I did not set out to take my dc to every type of museum possible. I just took my kids places that looked interesting and gave them a chance to explore what might be there to learn. Apparently, I found all kinds of places and apparently my ds says this was good for him. You have no idea all the bad things I did that he's previously let me know about. 

WOW!

It was his very early reading and extreme quirks that sent me on the homeschool journey. I'm going to have to let the idea that I may have made one or two good decisions as his mom sink in. 

• Like 35

That is such a touching tribute coming from your DS. Yes, in retrospect, as years go by, they will find more and more things that were done right for them by their parents! :)

Would you be willing to share some of the names of museums that you took your DS to? 

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

Would you be willing to share some of the names of museums that you took your DS to?

I live outside of DC so lots to choose from and I don't remember all the names:

Smithsonian air and space (both), American Indian, American History, Natural History, Hirschorn (modern art)

Spy Museum

Port Discovery

Maryland science center

Dental museum (Baltimore, noted for narrow focus)

Baltimore pubic works (also narrow focus)

Nautilus (I think that's the one in Norfolk with the ship attached)

Claude Moore colonial Farm (noted for focus on poor farmer of the 1750s, plus unusual funding structure--its on land owned by US government, but completely private and because working farms are usually early 1900s)

Frying Pan Park (I didn't know this was museum, but according to DS it is)

George Mason house

Mount Vernon

Sully Plantation

Colonial Williamsburg (multiple visits)

Jamestown historic site

Jamestown Settlement

Yorktown Victory center

Tours of Oceana NAS and Naval Station Norfolk

Living Museum Newport News

Woodrow Wilson House

Frontier Cultural Center Staunton

Sauder Village Ohio

La Brea Tar Pits Los Angeles

A few in Boston

A few in Philadelphia

A few in Chicago

One or two in Durham, NC

Smithsonian Western Culture in New Mexico

US Marine in Quantico

And more

My ds is 22 these were spread over years. Some were visited multiple times. Some are very dependent on age. From what my ds has told me about his class "museum" has a broader definition than I thought. We saw a lot of aquariums too, because I'm into fish. If we were studying something I tried to find field trips to go with it.

If we were on vacation we always looked at whatever was local. Dh and others would tell me that doing this ruins "vacation." However my kids didn't complain. Based on the behavior of oldest I sought out more stuff on vacation. Apparently, my instincts on entertaining him were good.

• Like 3

My dd is almost 20 and in college. The summer after she graduated she told me that she was glad I homeschooled her. The same child who threw fit after fit about it, whined all through middle school, complained about not riding the bus during kindergarten, and cried constantly in the ninth grade because I wasn't a "real" teacher and that's why math was hard thanked me for homeschooling. And now that she's in college and sees the education that many of her publicly schooled peers ended up with, she's doubly thankful.

Isn't it funny how that turns out?

Glad your son is doing well, op.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fairfarmhand