Menu

LLATL vs Lightning Literature

I don't remember LL as having any type of busy work on the High School level. There was some in the Jr High levels. We skipped or, at most, skimmed over the comprehension questions and just used the background notes and writing instruction. My daughters liked choosing from the different writing assignments.

I liked LL but I've never used LLATL so I can't compare them.

• Like 2

I don't remember LL as having any type of busy work on the High School level. There was some in the Jr High levels. We skipped or, at most, skimmed over the comprehension questions and just used the background notes and writing instruction. My daughters liked choosing from the different writing assignments.

I liked LL but I've never used LLATL so I can't compare them.

Yeah, I'm surprised by the comment that it has too much busy work.  We are using it now and I think it's really good.  Last year we used Oak Meadow (high school English) and there was WAY too much foo foo stuff for my kid's tastes.  He's enjoying LL.

Yeah, I'm surprised by the comment that it has too much busy work.  We are using it now and I think it's really good.  Last year we used Oak Meadow (high school English) and there was WAY too much foo foo stuff for my kid's tastes.  He's enjoying LL.

Funny how we're all different.  We used Oak Meadow's Hero's Journey and liked it then moved on to LL for American Lit the following year and I was disappointed and switched to an outsourced class after a few weeks.  

Thank you, Kassia!

What are you using for HS English {literature}?

We are outsourcing and then will do DE next year.  

Yes, it was the comprehension questions that I didn't like.  I wanted more analysis and thought the comprehension questions were a waste of time.  

I'm strong in Literature, so we made our own English (Lit. & Writing) throughout high school. I did look through most of the Lit. programs out there, though, to see if something would be of help to us, so I am familiar with both of these programs.

If limited to those two choices, then I'd go with Lightning Literature, as it has more guidance, background info, and teaching information than the Gold levels (high school levels) of LLATL. Both programs are light on discussion questions -- LLATL is especially light on discussion questions. Neither teaches writing or has grading rubrics for writing. While both programs are designed for the student to do larger solo, LLATL is more of an outline and expects the student to find their own resources and dig deeper/do research on their own about the works being studied, while Lightning Literature provides that background. You have to have a certain type of student for LLATL to be a good fit.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I'm strong in Literature, so we made our own English (Lit. & Writing) throughout high school. I did look through most of the Lit. programs out there, though, to see if something would be of help to us, so I am familiar with both of these programs.

If limited to those two choices, then I'd go with Lightning Literature, as it has more guidance, background info, and teaching information than the Gold levels (high school levels) of LLATL. Both programs are light on discussion questions -- LLATL is especially light on discussion questions. Neither teaches writing or has grading rubrics for writing. While both programs are designed for the student to do larger solo, LLATL is more of an outline and expects the student to find their own resources and dig deeper/do research on their own about the works being studied, while Lightning Literature provides that background. You have to have a certain type of student for LLATL to be a good fit.

I'd agree with most of your comments. I will say that the Lightning Lit-Speech teacher guide (I'm using it to teach a co-op class this year) includes a rubric for grading writing assignments as well as a few discussion questions for each speech. There could be more, definitely.