Menu

Talk to Me About Spielvogel's Western Civ

How did you all use this text? Is there a good study guide out there for it?

I picked up a copy from the charter school's lending library as I am required to cover ancients AGAIN and my DS has already done SOTW, the MP Famous Men series, and K12 Human Odyssey. He is a very strong reader and can definitely handle the challenge level of the Spielvogel text. I'm just not sure what else to require from him aside from just reading.

How did you all use this text? Is there a good study guide out there for it?

There appears to be a Study Guide on Amazon. Also a book companion site that was linked from this old thread.

There are also sample syllabi, such as this one from Dawson CC. It may be too fast paced for your ds, but it lists some assignments that you can adapt.

• Like 1

We used it for the rhetoric stages history in conjunction with our great book study.

What I did was give my child the discussion question and mark off the pages they needed to read . They then needed to write the answer to the question/s in paragraph format.

Example. In chapter 20 there is the question- What effect did the industrial revolution have on urban life, social classes, family life and standard of living? I would then mark off the pages to be read with sticky notes. My dd would read the section and write a page or so answering the question.

We did not do every question, but around 2 per chapter. I gave her around 2 weeks per question.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

What Regentrude said. We did Great Book intertwined English and history and used the appropriate sections of a textbook to patch the holes between them. He earned one history and one English credit but in reality it looked more like 1 literature credit, .5 composition, and .5 history. For ancients he was reading Gilgamesh, Iliad & Odyssey (with Vandiver lectures), and such.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1