Menu

Is there a Dungeons and Dragons primer?

madteaparty

Poppy gave you a good link for the basic rules.  Do you know what version they are using?  I assume it is 5e (5th edition) but it might not be.  Some still use 4th edition or even 3.5.  A few still do AD&D.  Knowing the version will be very important since the rules were revised quite a bit.

This introduction might help...

Eventually he will need a Player's Handbook (for whatever version they are using) and a set of RPG dice. I'm linking the 5e PH below:

https://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-Dungeons-Dragons-Wizards/dp/0786965606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505576430&sr=8-1&keywords=d%26d+5e

The dice are a set of 7 and will include the following: 20, 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4 sided die plus a percentage die

You might have him watch some early episodes of Critical Role (although there may be some mildly adult references).  Seeing it played can really help.   Of course, these are professional voice actors/performers so it is a bit different from a standard game.  This group switched from another system (Pathfinder) to 5e.

http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

Here is an interesting one off with Vin Diesel (who loves D&D)

http://geekandsundry.com/vin-diesel-nerdist-and-geek-and-sundrys-critical-roll-battle-in-ddiesel/

There are also some great tutorials on how to create a character on you tube.  This particular gentleman is quite pleasant and has some really nice tutorials about D&D.

There is also this starter set that has basic rules, some dice, a beginner adventure for both beginner Dungeon Masters and beginner players, etc.....The beginner adventure is nice because it walks the DM and the players through the process.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Starter-Wizards-Team/dp/0786965592/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1505576430&sr=8-5&keywords=d%26d+5e

There is also this starter set that has basic rules, some dice, a beginner adventure for both beginner Dungeon Masters and beginner players, etc.....The beginner adventure is nice because it walks the DM and the players through the process.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Starter-Wizards-Team/dp/0786965592/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1505576430&sr=8-5&keywords=d%26d+5e

We have this.  Also bought a dry-erase board thing that can be broken down and stored.  Very helpful for getting started doing your own games, but I don't know that it would be necessary if you won't play beyond this one gathering.

We have this.  Also bought a dry-erase board thing that can be broken down and stored.  Very helpful for getting started doing your own games, but I don't know that it would be necessary if you won't play beyond this one gathering.

Agreed.

OP, if this is just a one time thing then have him watch some of the videos I linked to get a feel for things if he likes, read through the basic rules Poppy linked and he can probably borrow some dice.  Or you can usually get a set for super cheap either through Amazon or at a local store.  In fact, if you have a local store that sells D&D stuff (try comic book stores) they may have some individual die for sale.  If he could just get a 20 sided, that is the main die used for 5e.  Don't buy anything (besides maybe the dice) until you see if he wants to continue.

OP, he can probably just show up and have his friends teach him what he needs to know.  Maybe watch a few videos to get an idea of what it looks like.  He can use someone else's dice - no need for him to have his own yet, though if you already have some he could bring them.  I wouldn't buy anything till you know if he enjoys it or not.  It can be a fun hobby with many opportunities for creativity - writing, map-making, miniature-painting, and so on.  Somewhere around here we have a copy of the 1st edition of the manual.  It is a fascinating read - short on rules, long on inspiration for making your own adventures.  (I tried to find it online, but no luck.)

The two .pdf documents on this page can be downloaded for free, and give a good overview of the game - one is written for the player, and the other for the person leading the game (the Dungeon Master).

• Like 1

I think he should just show up. I mean, sure, if he's interested, let him look at the websites and watch the videos, but IME, doing it is the best way to learn. I know that it can be awkward to be the new person in a group sometimes, but my experience with teen gamers has generally been that while they may have in jokes and so forth, they're usually welcoming and excited to show people who to play. Plus, he was invited.

• Like 2