Menu

Transcript newbie - can I give credit for robotics club

My dd is in a FIRST robotics club. She does 4.5 - 5 hours almost every week and much more when we are getting close to competitions. However I want to have this as an extra-curricular for her so I can't count it for credit as well. It sounds like you might have almost enough hours for a half credit  - you may need to add a few things to fill it out - but you might want to consider of you want it to be an extra-curricular activity to put on his resume instead.

• Like 3

My dd is in a FIRST robotics club. She does 4.5 - 5 hours almost every week and much more when we are getting close to competitions. However I want to have this as an extra-curricular for her so I can't count it for credit as well. It sounds like you might have almost enough hours for a half credit  - you may need to add a few things to fill it out - but you might want to consider of you want it to be an extra-curricular activity to put on his resume instead.

ok extra-curricular vs credit. I have something new to look into. Thanks

• Like 2

If he is not really interested in robotics, I would make it a class.  If he is (and I suspect this is the case), I would make it an extracurricular.

So, with my son, who is a STEM guy, I made his sailing camps into a PE credit and his viola lessons into an arts credit.  But all of his outside robotics/engineering/science stuff, with the exception of a robotics class taken at the private high school he attended for a bit, was counted as an extracurricular.

• Like 3

If he is not really interested in robotics, I would make it a class.  If he is (and I suspect this is the case), I would make it an extracurricular.

So, with my son, who is a STEM guy, I made his sailing camps into a PE credit and his viola lessons into an arts credit.  But all of his outside robotics/engineering/science stuff, with the exception of a robotics class taken at the private high school he attended for a bit, was counted as an extracurricular.

So I guess my thinking on this was backward. He says he wants to be a robotics engineer, so I was thinking that it would be a good thing for robotics to show up on his transcript as a class.  I guess the benefit of not making it a class is to show he is doing those things anyway and has high interest? Or what is the logic here?

Thanks!

My ds is on an FTC team, thousands of hours over 4 years of high school.

In 9th, I included robotics as part of a full year one credit elective, something like Intro to Engineering & Robotics, I'm blanking on the name right now. But he did some robotics classes, some robotics specific programming classes, used the Great Courses Engineering and robotics courses,and completed an Intro to Engineering textbook- in addition to being on the team.

But for everything else robotics, it's all just listed as extracurricular- his main ones (he does FTC, & an underwater robot group, & his big science fair project was a robot, and...). Yes, robots & programming took over all his "free" hours and then some ;)

If your kiddo continues his robotics, he could take a college robotics class in 11/12 and list that on his transcript. (Although we have not found any that are not way below ds's abilities- he could teach them)

But a robotics team over a long time I'd use as an extracurricular. STEM schools know how much work the teams are.

Eta- just in case you're interested, I think I still have the Great Courses Robotics set in my for sale bin. No pressure at all though.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

My ds is on an FTC team, thousands of hours over 4 years of high school.

In 9th, I included robotics as part of a full year one credit elective, something like Intro to Engineering & Robotics, I'm blanking on the name right now. But he did some robotics classes, some robotics specific programming classes, used the Great Courses Engineering and robotics courses,and completed an Intro to Engineering textbook- in addition to being on the team.

But for everything else robotics, it's all just listed as extracurricular- his main ones (he does FTC, & an underwater robot group, & his big science fair project was a robot, and...). Yes, robots & programming took over all his "free" hours and then some ;)

If your kiddo continues his robotics, he could take a college robotics class in 11/12 and list that on his transcript. (Although we have not found any that are not way below ds's abilities- he could teach them)

But a robotics team over a long time I'd use as an extracurricular. STEM schools know how much work the teams are.

Eta- just in case you're interested, I think I still have the Great Courses Robotics set in my for sale bin. No pressure at all though.

This is a great idea! I was hoping to add Intro to Engineering using a textbook as a half credit, but I like your way better. 

Thanks for the lead on the Great Courses, I'll look into it. 

He was so excited by his first session and was like, "How do I make every day Vex Club?" 

A local library is doing First this year. Do you think 2 clubs is overkill?

• Like 1

So I guess my thinking on this was backward. He says he wants to be a robotics engineer, so I was thinking that it would be a good thing for robotics to show up on his transcript as a class.  I guess the benefit of not making it a class is to show he is doing those things anyway and has high interest? Or what is the logic here?

Thanks!

Yes, that's the logic.

• Like 1

This is a great idea! I was hoping to add Intro to Engineering using a textbook as a half credit, but I like your way better.

Thanks for the lead on the Great Courses, I'll look into it.

He was so excited by his first session and was like, "How do I make every day Vex Club?"

A local library is doing First this year. Do you think 2 clubs is overkill?

Lol, everyday IS robotics here. Pretty much.

How heavy is his course load? Do they meet on set days? We rotate based on the kids & coach work schedules.

He could try both & choose which to continue with as he ages. Some are better than others, like any volunteer led activity.

During peak season though close to competition time, we're meeting daily, for hours. If both teams compete around the same time of year, they'd interfere with each other.

We always planned light curriculum during the final month of robotics season. Can't do that anymore with DE classes.

• Like 1