Menu

short term homeschooling curriculum for 5th grader

cagirlintexas

My 5th grader is currently in his second year of school.  Its been bumpy last year but this was his choice.  We are moving and he may end up homeschooling for a bit.  Could be 6-9 months.   We will be moving internationally and things will be crazy.  Need something workbook and easy to implement.  So far I am thinking Saxon Math (cause he liked it and we have it) and would like something simple for writing.  Any recommendations would be really appreciated.

We used the science curriculum (a workbook) The Scientist's Apprentice for multiple elementary ages at once, and my kids loved it.  It might seem simple, buy my kids learned a lot in it and it included some fun projects.  It's not being published anymore so is on sale for a good price:

https://www.brightideaspress.com/shop/the-scientists-apprentice-clearance/

It states on this site that it's for K-4th grades, but other sites state K-6th, and I'm pretty sure my oldest was in 6th when we used it.   I think it's more geared for the older age-range.

We used the science curriculum (a workbook) The Scientist's Apprentice for multiple elementary ages at once, and my kids loved it. It might seem simple, buy my kids learned a lot in it and it included some fun projects. It's not being published anymore so is on sale for a good price:

https://www.brightideaspress.com/shop/the-scientists-apprentice-clearance/

It states on this site that it's for K-4th grades, but other sites state K-6th, and I'm pretty sure my oldest was in 6th when we used it. I think it's more geared for the older age-range.

I just ordered this - Thanks!! I downloaded a sample and it looks great. And for $10, you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

For science and history, you can probably just go right ahead and shelve those for this year.  Buy a few good general science and history books and be done with it.  

For Language Arts, I've used Spectrum as review.   I don't see these mentioned here hardly at all, but I find them to be pretty thorough and for a short-term approach, they would definitely have the instruction you need, plus practice.

Spectrum would have a different workbook for writing, language arts (grammar), reading comprehension, spelling, vocabulary, word study/phonics.  You don't need them all.  

Oh, they also have them for math, but I've never used those and couldn't attest to the instruction aspect.