Menu

Kindergarten Science: Singapore EB, McRuffy or Backyard Scientist

Rainbows

If you were going to choose a science curriculum for kindergarten, which would you choose? I want to keep it light and fun, and I think DS may really enjoy some experiments. He is bright and very curious, but not a long attention span....so shorter lessons/activities would be best. Our 2 yr old may also participate since he wants to home'cool too :D

--Singapore starts at Level 1 ...sample pages looked ok for him. Looks pretty basic, mostly reading...not sure if they have any experiments

--McRuffy has a cool experiment kit, but I'm not sure what the lessons are like

--Backyard Scientist....looks like fun experiments...how is the educational content on these?

thanks!!!

I don't know the others, but I bought the Child's Play Science book (K level?) that I from Singapore Math's website. It's sort of just okay -- not really exciting, looked more like "the eyes are for seeing" worksheets -- personally I prefer some hands on experiment type of things, as you do. I have seen some from American companies, at my library that are fun (not curricula) -- I think a lot could be learned from them. I don't know their names off the top of my head, but I like virtually anything by Vicki Cobb. Also I like doing "nature study," for lack of a better word, including learning about animals, so I am adding that in. Since no one else posted, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

We tried the Singapore Science for K and it was not a hit here. I would definately go with something more hands on. If I had to do it all again, I would use the Janice VanCleave Play and Find Out Series for K. It includes experiments and enough explanations to teach about the subject without overkill for your K'er. Here's the link to it at Amazon.

I haven't used any of the things you suggested but wanted to offer another option - Sonlight Science K. We don't use the whole program - just the dvd, the experiment book (an Usborne book), the nonconsumable kit and the kit for the K level. My dd loves doing experiments so this fills that need for her. I only need to provide a bowl or some water, everything else is already included. :001_smile:

The best science for this age?

To play and explore the world around him. Some ideas:

a sand/water table with buckets, spoons, measuring cups, spinners, etc.

a balance scale and small objects around the house

to track the weather each day and make a graph at the end of the month of the sunny verses cloudy/rainy days

to go on a nature hike or explore the yard or park with a paper bag collecting seed pods, leaves, bark, etc.

to make leave rubbings, bark rubbings, etc.

to look up treasures in field guides (don't buy curriculum buy field guides for flowers, insects, trees etc. instead--much better use of funds)

bug boxes (found at the dollar store) and a butterfly net to capture bugs, watch them, look them up in the field guide, etc. We watched a variety of moths and butterflies this fall who transformed from catterpillars.

Explore the world and have fun. This is a great time to open their eyes to science through the natural world around them.:001_smile:

Here are the names of the picture books that I found at my library by Vicki Cobb, aimed at young kids: I Get Wet, I Face the Wind, I Fall Down, I See Myself. The language is good / clear for young kids and are well illustrated. She has some others about the senses.

Edited by stripe