Menu

Do I need a graphing calculator for Math

I would recommend it, yes. It will be good practice for ease of use on the PSAT, if nothing else.

According to page 25 of the Official Student Guide for the PSAT:

"All questions on the Math Test – Calculator portion can be solved without a calculator, but you may find using a calculator helpful on some questions. A scientific or graphing calculator is recommended for the Math Test – Calculator portion of the PSAT/NMSQT."

Calculators permitted during testing are:

- Most graphing calculators

- All scientific calculators

- Four-function calculators (not recommended)

If you bring a calculator with large characters (one-inch high or more) or a raised display that might be visible to other students, the test supervisor may seat you in a location where other students cannot view the large or raised display. You should be familiar with the operation of your calculator and know when the calculator can be used effectively."

A list of several dozen makes and models is then listed.

Good luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Unless the teacher specifically says they are teaching the graphing calculator, then I wouldn't get one except for statistics or AP calculus. ACT and SAT can be done without a graphing calculator. Science and math, even most of calculus, can be done without a graphing calculator. Graphing should definitely be learned by hand.

I'd recommend a good, cheap scientific calculator and would say most student will never need a graphing calculator.

Edited to say that some algebra or precalculus teachers do teach a graphing calculator, but I think the math is better learned without.

Edited by Julie of KY
  • Like 4

Unless the school specificaly requires it, no.

Calculator use often distracts from learning math. My kids are not using a calculator for math at all.

My DD took PSAT, SAT, ACT and SAT2 subject test math without a graphing calculator. It is not necessary; a simple scientific calculator is sufficient.

The only test that requires a graphing calculator is AP calc.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Your child won't need a graphing calculator until Calculus or Statistics unless your child is attending a class where the teacher requires the use of a graphing calculator. In which case most teachers have their preferred model. I won't buy early in case the teacher has a specific model she/he wants her/his students to use.

The only test that requires a graphing calculator is AP calc.

AP Statistics is the other exam that needs a graphing calculator or very specific non-graphing calculators that have the statistical functions required.

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-statistics/calculator-policy

• Like 2